Bonus Chapter: Lovely Snake Family Special

Obanai sighed again, closing his eyes. It's been a constant cycle of that, just him closing and reopening his blind eyes, each time hoping he would feel something different.

"Iguro-sama, here's your breakfast." Sumi came in with a tray of food, placing it on the bedside table. "Please eat this before you drink the medicine, then go back to sleep."

"Nakahara, right?" Obanai called out before the girl could leave. "Who did...who did you say died again?"

Sumi frowned, chewing on her lips. She had told him a few times before, but it didn't hurt her any less when she had to tell him again. "Shinobu-sama, Inori nee-san, Tokito-sama, and Himejima-sama. Those are the pillars who died in the final battle."

"I see. Thank you." Obanai couldn't find it in him to eat. He felt Kaburamaru nuzzle against his cheek, and he reached out to give his snake a pat. "Of all people, why them? Hoshizora...Tokito...Kocho...Himejima-san...of all people, why you? Why am I alive when you deserve it more than me?" He asked the same question over and over again.

"Why are you the ones who died?"

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

"Iguro-san, why are you doing this?"

Obanai flinched slightly at the tone Mitsuri was giving him. He had never heard Mitsuri sound so assertive and angry. He racked his brain for anything he could've done that maybe hurt her, but Mitsuri's next words stopped him.

"Why are you...destroying yourself?" Mitsuri chewed on her lips, tears streaming down her eyes. "You never eat. You don't drink your medicine. You don't even try to rehabilitate yourself. You just sit here and refuse to do anything. You never answer me when I ask you what's wrong. I...I'm worried. Iguro-san, I don't want to lose anyone anymore."

Obanai tilted his head downwards in shame. He admitted that he had been trying to die for the past few weeks. He just couldn't bear it. Demons have been eradicated. He had already fulfilled his life purpose. His life had no meaning to it anymore. He should've died that day, died after confessing his heart out so he could finally cleanse his soul with stardust. He should've died and become one of the stars Inori once listed to him.

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

"The serpent, Serpens. The sea serpent, Hydra. The serpent bearer, Ophiuchus." There was the starry sky above them, and a crumbling demon who has snakes for hair. Then, there was a giggle muffled behind her sleeve. "Maybe you and Kaburamaru can be one of the stars in those three constellations. Wouldn't that be nice, Iguro-san?"

"If I even deserve a place there."

"Of course you have a place there." Inori smiled as she looked up at the stars, walking side by side with him as they went to hunt yet another demon. "Iguro-san is a good person. I believe there's a special star reserved for you somewhere up there."

"You think everybody is nice." Obanai scoffed. "It's better if we stop talking and continue patrolling."

"Iguro-san, what do you plan to do after the battle?"

"There is no after the battle for me," Obanai answered, walking even faster. "I'm sure you, of all people, know why."

Inori remained silent for a few minutes before she eventually snickered. "Too bad," she said, sticking her tongue out. "Because I've decided you'll survive."

"And what makes you think you can decide that?"

Inori laughed back then, stepping past Obanai with a mischievous smirk. She's been acting a bit more childish ever since the incident at the Swordsmith Village, or maybe she has always been childish. Then again, that was what she was, a child. "Iguro-san, I'm pretty amazing, you know. I'm sure I can save a life or two in the upcoming battle."