The Wolf Has to Take on a New Enemy: Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

“Isn’t it obvious what she did, Caleb?”

“How do you know my name?” I growled out. The girl laughed a little before moving some hair off of Vanessa’s sweaty forehead.

“I was going to be the head of the Armies of the Huntress. My current job is getting everyone off their asses and out to a war zone from everywhere in the country. I think I know the names of every alpha in the United States even the rouge alpha’s. I’ve known your name for years now.” As she spoke I felt stupid for not realizing that sooner and just scratched the back of my head as I laughed awkwardly.

“I guess that’s true. How did you know Vanessa?”

“We met today actually. I was supposed to keep guard on her to make sure she didn’t escape the office, but she talked me into helping with her escape plan. When we opened the fire escape though your pack was already there to charge into the place. We stood in the back corner in surrender as people growled at us. Slowly each of us were found by our mates, some of your great fighters.” She said with a smile. “Vanessa has a way of making you believe she can do anything just by her sheer will power.”

“That she does, I just wish she would have sat back and let us handle this for her so she wouldn’t be in this pain right now.” I took a damp rag someone offered me and wiped her forehead and face to cool her down. It was getting close to where I would have to have this Huntress Girl strip her down to her underwear to help with the transformation.

“Caleb, you do realize what she did, didn’t you?” I looked at her, waiting for her to continue. “She never once stopped fighting to be with you this whole time. Most of our new initiates give up after a week of beatings. She found a simple lighter and waited for the right time to start a fire after she had everything planned and she never lost hope of getting back to you. The only time she lost even a shred of hope was when she had to choose. It was either you die, or you both die. There was no way she could win, but she managed to keep a level head and come up with a plan to keep you both alive for another hour or so. She knew that if there was enough confusion you had a still slim chance of surviving, but more so then you had before.”

“But what did she do!” I ended up yelling at the girl, barely following along knowing it was getting close to Vanessa’s full transformation. The girl took a moment before a small giggle escaped her mouth.

“She opened both boxes of course! She is a Huntress and a Werewolf. When the hatch opened she was exposed to enough moonlight while the Grand Master was reciting an incantation from where ever she was and she joined with Aretha just as the hour was ending on her time limit to becoming a werewolf. She is the only hybrid of her kind and she did this just to give you guys a better chance even if it still meant death.” I could feel Vanessa’s shaking getting worse as I sat there stunned. My pack acted for me when they forced the girl away as well as myself leaving a blanket over Vanessa. All that could be heard in the hallway as pack members looked between themselves to some other meaning behind Vanessa’s new status was the final screams as larger bones in her legs and arms broke and refused into that of a wolf.

I went back and forth between watching the blond girl be lead down the hallway by my beta and my mate lying on the floor writhing in pain. Something within me clicked into place and I was in Alpha mode taking charge of the transformation to perform the proper ceremony to allow her into the pack immediately upon transformation. As I spoke the old words I walked slowly up to Vanessa and touched her shoulder with my finger, drawing the pack symbol. The brown trunk, the green leaves, the black background and the white moon. Vanessa contorted one last time as fur the color of her hair spread across her extremities and morphed into a wolf. She lay there motionless for a minute before opening her eyes and looking around for the deer meat I knew she could smell. When she came out from under the blanket she seemed smaller the a Luna should be, as if she was a lower member of my pack. She quietly ate the meat before coming to sit by my side.