one-seven

cw: smut

people say things they don't mean.

"Did she get more fit over the Holiday?" Groaned Maredith, staring at the blonde girl with her chin slumped in her hands.

"She looks exactly the same, Mare."

"No, I swear, D. She's gotten taller, or tan, or— well, I'm not entirely sure what. But she's definitely fit."

Dorcas Meadowes sighed a great, heaving sigh, and reached up to grab Maredith's chin, jerking it away from her unwavering fixation on the blonde girl. "You need help," she said, clearly and monotonous.

"Yeah," responded the younger Black twin dreamily. "Help getting Marlene McKinnon to fall in love with me."

Another sigh, this one ever more exasperated than the last. "You're beyond saving," Lily Evans drawled.

Finally, the blonde girl waltzed over to her friends, and it seemed to Maredith that her curls seemed to bounce along with the rhythm of her own heart, and that her skin glowed slightly tan in the candlelight of the Great Hall.

The raven-haired girl felt her mind stop working for a moment when Marlene hugged her. "I missed you, Mare."

"So did I," Maredith mumbled, inhaling the scent of lemons that seemed to follow her friend around. "Come on, let's go to the lake."

     "Now?" Marlene raised an eyebrow. "You've got Alchemy."

      "Sluggy let's me do whatever I want anyways," argued Mare. "I'll make an excuse."

      The blonde girl was all too happy to allow Maredith to steal her away, even as her internal monologue blazed red. Marlene was aware, all too aware that the raven-haired beauty meant everything to her, and she was even more aware of the fact that she meant considerably less to the other girl. Letting Mare whisk her around in this beautiful cloud of infatuation would only hurt her in the long run, but really who could ever deny that face?

      "Alright, let's go."

     The two girls were a sight, one that was meant to be on the cover of some pretentious magazine and displayed to the high heavens.

     Because how else, really, could one digest the view of one girl like night, hair an unfathomable black pouring down her back in waves. The dark night was perched underneath a willow tree, it's spine pressed against the dark, sunlight refracting off the porcelain skin.

      Another girl like day, blonde tumbled like the sand and the sea, framing the beautiful tan skin as it splayed on the grass. The day had it's head on the ground, it's smile twinkling at the sun, and it's hand so close to that of another.

      The Night sat beneath a willow tree, and the Day rested in the grass beside her, fingers close enough to catch sparks, but not touching in the manner necessary for fire.

"You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

Marlene could've died right there, could've sunk into the grass and never recovered and she wouldn't even care. How could one girl have such an effect on her, it was beyond understanding, beyond the comprehension of Socrates, for Merlin's sake.