Fairytales

I was reading a knowledge book when I discovered something horrible. There's a section in this book talking about fairytales. This is how it describes fairytales: "A child who reads a fairy tale is carried away into a wonderful land of make-believe where handsome princes rescue beautiful maidens, where ugly witches and giants are put to death by daring heroes, where a tiny seed becomes a beanstalk that reaches high up into the sky." (Pg 19)

This means from a very young age we were shown that only ugly people can be bad. Based on that description only beautiful and handsome people can be good. In the world today, we shun people who are 'ugly' all the time. Could this have anything to do with what we grew up reading and watching? My guess does not apply to everyone. There are some really awesome humans who aren't like this.

I think fairytales have a bigger influence on the way we act today than we realize. Think about it, almost everyone has decided not to associate with someone based on their looks at least once before.

I think sometimes we decide who we interact with based on what fairytales have told us to believe. Fairytales basically say, "Hey those people are considered ugly! They're evil!" You might argue with me that you aren't even thinking about fairytales when you make a decision on who to interact with, but in reality you just might be doing it subconsciously.

I am absolutely horrified by this discovery. The truth is though, if it were reversed, the 'beautiful' and 'handsome' people would be shunned. Fairytales should have been a mix of ugly and beautiful/handsome people as both roles. Sure, you might say if an 'ugly' person were to do some things the handsome heroes did, it'd just be creepy, but that's my point! Maybe if they would have been a mix it wouldn't be like that; you would never have thought that way.