Chapter 9 - Since When Do You Have A Boat?

Chapter 9 - Since When Do You Have a Boat?

Thirty minutes or so later, Drew pulls into my dad’s Lake House drive. Josh hops out of the car before Drew even comes to a proper stop, running up to the front door and banging on it. My poor little brother, so very eager. Not that I’m not happy to see my father, ‘cause I am, but I wouldn’t have really been affected if I’d haven’t seen him for another month or so. Poncho hops out of the front seat, into Drew’s lap, licking his arms. I look over at Drew who is looking at Poncho with a glare on his face.

“Stop looking at him like that, Drew!”

"Well get him off of me, I don’t like dogs.”

I roll my eyes, scooping Poncho up into my arms. “You’re just scared of them.”

"I am not scared of dogs,” He defends.

I nod, “Yeah, you are. I know it, and you know it.” I reason.

Like I said, Drew and I became friends in eighth grade. In ninth grade, he got bit by a vicious pit bull dog on his way home from the bus stop one day after school. Since then he’s not liked dogs, at all. I personally think he’s got like a pathological fear of them, but he’s too scared to admit it. My weird, weird friends. I mean, he’s not afraid to be around them, unless they’re either, a.) a pit bull, or b.) really, really big. Like the horse looking dog? The Great Dane? He’s terrified of them, and it’s so obvious to everyone, well to me anyway, but that’s ‘cause I know him really well.

"Yeah, okay,” He mumbles.

I look down at his gear stick, seeing that it’s still in ‘drive’, but he’s got his foot down on the brake. “Aren’t you coming in?”

“I hadn’t planned on it.”

“But my dad loves you guys, come on.” I plead.

Drew shifts the car into park, turns the ignition off, taking the key out. “Yay!” I exclaim, getting out of the car and closing the door behind me.

Drew and I walk up towards the front door, which is wide open since Josh ran in. I carry Poncho in my left arm while Drew walks on my right side so that he doesn’t like freak out or anything. When we reach the front door, I walk in followed by Drew, who pulls the door closed.

“Dad?” I call through the house, setting Poncho down on the floor.

“In the kitchen!” He shouts back.

“Come on, Drew,” I say, pulling him with me.

Drew and I walk into the kitchen where my dad is sitting as Josh stands in a chair, trying to get into the freezer. My brother’s extremely weird, and he’s got this thing for ice cream. Like, he really, really loves it. Eats it every other day. It’s ridiculous if you ask me, but no one ever asks me, so yeah. My dad looks up, smiling warmly. He rises from his chair, and walks over to me, hugging me.

“Sydney, it’s been about a month since I’ve seen you, hasn’t it?” He says, pulling away from me.

I nod, “Yup, I was gonna come and visit, but I’ve been kinda busy.” That’s a lie; I’ve just been too lazy to find a way here.

He nods in understanding, shaking Drew’s hand, “How’ve you been Drew?”

Drew smiles, “I’ve been good Mr. Barker, and you?” He asks, politely.

“Good. Syd-“ He breaks off of his sentence abruptly when Poncho tramples into the room, barking at my dad. “Well who is this?” My dad asks, smiling.

My dad loves dogs, which is why I really think that if I asked him could I get one and have it live here, he’d go for it, but then I’d, you know, never get to see it.