Chapter 12 (revised)

Start from the beginning

Eeehhhh please end this conversation. "I didn't exactly grow up rich, my mother's company didn't take off until I was 13." I gestured to Havoc to pass my half of the work.

"So, why are you here?" Breda asked.

I looked at him, clearly disinterested in this conversation. "What?"

"You're well off, you don't need a job. You could live the rest of your life in luxury." He explained.

I sighed. "Domestic life isn't for me. Plus I got tired of seamstressing."

Havoc chuckled in disbelief. "You were a seamstress?"

I kept my eyes on my work. "In another life."

"But if you really wanna know something that rich people do, my mother hired a whole team of private practice doctors." I began checking the work. Might as well give them something to chew on.

"Why? She hates hospitals?" Havoc handed out the rest of the work.

"No, mental illness and dementia run in my family. She's always worried about that."

Suddenly the mood switched and the room was quiet.

"So, I could be here one day and gone the next." I put it plainly. It was true, I could very well developed dementia or mental illness.

"You shouldn't say things like that." Roy finally spoke up.

I looked at him and his eyes were glued on me. "Sorry Colonel."

"And stop discussing Devlin's wealth. If she wanted you to know, she would've told you sooner." He gestured to the other three. "Eyes on your own paper."

The room was quiet after that, each person looking at their own papers.

I hated this. I hated the situation I created. I should've said something instead of just freezing up like that.

What's wrong with me?

I closed my eyes at that thought and stopped writing.

I wonder what they're doing to Ross? Probably questioning her. I hope they find she's innocent.

I wonder how the talk with Gracia went. I haven't seen the two Elrics since yesterday. Hopefully it made them feel better.

I walked up the steps of my house, picking up the mail off the floor before stepping inside. Roy had sent me home early. Not sure why, maybe because I hurt his feelings, but I wasn't complaining.

Closing the door behind me, I flipped through the envelopes. Bank statements, a cheque, a letter from Miles and my mother. And then I landed on the newspaper.

I put the rest on my counter and looked at the front page, and my stomach dropped. "Second Lieutenant Maria Ross convicted of Brigadier General Hughes' murder." And her picture was on the front page.

I immediately slammed it on the counter. "Fuck.."

I stood frozen in my kitchen for a moment, my hands braced against the sink and counter. What the hells going to happen now?

The sun was already setting at this point. I could go back to HQ, maybe the others are still there.

I don't know.. it'll be dark by the time I get there, and maybe they'll be gone by then.

I growled under my breath. Instead of going back to the office, I went to Central's prison, where I knew Ross would be held.

I held my alchemist watch up. "Major Hunter Devlin, the Inferno Alchemist. I'd like to access to Maria Ross."