𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

8; Restless

"I'm not one for sappy goodbyes like Effie so, I'll give you some advice, sweetheart."
-Haymitch Abernathy

———————————————
A FEW MINUTES pass as I snag pins out of my hair, relieving the tight tension on my scalp. A rapid hand knocks on my door, "Sapphire, get cleaned up and come on out for dinner." I'm able to hear Effie's heals tap against the tile, fading as she makes her distance from my room.

With a prominent glower, I change out Cinna's masterpiece and go for something more comfortable from my closet.

I amble into the dining room, eyes set on my district partner and I take my seat next to Effie. 

"You alright now, crabby pants?" Haymitch asks with a wide grin, obviously thinking his comment was funny.

"You're not funny." I snap, scooting in my chair.

"Never mind, still pissed off."

"I don't know what your plan is, but I'm here to win and I don't need your lovey-dovey comments to make me look soft." I snarl at Peeta.

"Oh don't worry sweetheart, you're doing it yourself by taking this personally." Haymitch utters causing my glare to set on him.

"Personally? Well yeah, no shit I'm gonna take it personally."

"Language!" Effie gasps with lecturing eyes.

"He made you look desirable which, newsflash, can't hurt you."

"He's jeopardizing my chances of winning."

"Oh, but monster boy from District 2's mention didn't?" I narrow my eyes.

"He didn't announce in front of the country that he has a cute little schoolgirl crush on me, unlike some people."

"Listen, I can sell the star-crossed lovers from District 12-"

"We are not star-crossed lovers." I retort.

"It's a television show! They just want good content and Peeta here has set us up with some of it. All you need to do is play along. Okay? Can you manage that without blowing up, Sapphire?" He questions and I let out an irritated sigh, not answering. "Good, now can we please eat in peace?"

We sit in silence for a few more minutes and I pick at my food with a detailed steel fork that's identical to the rest of the set of spoons and knives beside my plate.

I abruptly stand up and push in my seat, snatching the white cloth from off my lap and tossing it beside my full plate. "I'm not hungry," I mutter, scurrying away from the dining table before anyone could question it.

———————————————

After dinner, I flung myself on the silky surface of the penthouse bed and shut my eyes in an effort to avoid reality, but instead, the horrifying memories invaded my mind as I slept.

I run through the forest of District 2, the freckled brunette girl at my side as we run after Poppy, the white rabbit we had named all those years ago. Our surroundings turn dark and the girl next to me stops, morphing into her older self and as she turns around.