10 | Trouble With D-Class

After that day, I requested someone to give me a clock. It took me a while to figure out how to read it, but eventually, I was able to tell the time. I've started keeping track of time again.

Two days have passed.

As usual, I was standing next to the window, talking with Bright. Although it is obvious to me that I was being held captive and he was meant to keep me in, I don't mind. He's my best friend as of right now, and this place is better than the forest. Or maybe it's just the excitement of being somewhere else than a place you've never left for over 700 years, I don't know.

Last night, before he left to go to sleep, he said that he wasn't allowed to tell me what would happen, and immediately proceeded to give as much detail of today's events as his memory allowed him to. Apparently, I will be undergoing some testing. He said that it is to find out what I would do if attacked, and to act surprised when a D-Class tries to hurt me. He told me to watch out, but I won't mind getting hit a couple of times.

I've broken bones before and they healed in a matter of minutes, progressively getting faster with the number of times I do.

I've never told him this but, from my old books, I have deduced that other humans take a long time to recover from injuries. I want to see the surprised faces when I regenerate a broken limb in seconds.

I sit up in bed, watching the clock. It's almost noon - 11:47AM - thirteen minutes before Bright said I would be tested on.

Ten minutes. Through the window, I could see more scientists than usual walk into Bright's room. Some were holding notepads, most wearing headphones. Bright is watching a smaller TV - he said that it is linked to a camera to watch me. The scientists were talking among themselves, but due to being in separate rooms, and no microphones being on, I could barely make out what they were saying. I could lip-read, but I decided that it's better to just let them be.

Three minutes. I hear activity from outside, yelling, shouting, and... banging? It was loud.

And the door opens.

Three D-Class where forcefully pushed in, making me feel bad. Then I remember that they were here to cause me harm. I continue laying on my bed, pretending to read a book.

The D-Classes stand, looking over at the door which promptly shut, then to me, backing away towards the door.

A faint click, and I know the intercom was on.

"D-9099, D-9178, and D-9899, approach SCP-XYZ. Follow the instructions given by the guards prior to entering the containment chamber."

I look over at the men, reading the numbers on their orange uniforms. D-9099 is much shorter than I am, should have no problems defending myself against him. D-9178 quite literally towers over me though, but doesn't seem quite as strong, so I could hold him off with a couple of vines. D-9899... he looks like he could kill me just by punching me once. Not that I would die, but I need to be careful about him.

"Jack, for all we know, the damn anomaly could be like 049! I ain't touching it!" D-9099 yelled at D-9899. "Who's 049?" D-9178 looks at 9099, obviously confused. "Fuckin- skin contact causes instant death. Not sure about XYZ."

The intercom goes on again, the voice of a scientist who I don't know speaks. "Attention all D-Class personnel, you are to engage SCP-XYZ within the next twenty seconds. Failure to do so will result in the termination of all three of you."

The shortest looks up at the others. "We've got no choice. We'd die either way, so why not go out more quickly? Gunshots are painful..." "I'm... I still don't wanna..."

D-9899 grabs D-9178, practically throwing him towards me. "Too bad, bitch! Fuck them up!" "You are an asshole, 9899."

D-98o9 looks at D-9099. "I have a fucking name! Use it!"

I started ignoring the two arguing, watching D-9178. He hesitates, before the intercom is on again.

"5 seconds."

Immediately, D-9178 takes out a knife, hesitantly stabbing me once in my chest. He struggles to take out the knife, the other two D-Class watching. "What the fuck, it isn't responding to getting stabbed-"

I take off my right glove, touching the wall, and as soon as I let go, vines burst from the area and I directed it for D-9178's hand. Grabbing it, then pulling him away from me. Knife still etched into my chest.

"That- th- that hurt-" "Fuck it."

D-9899 starts approaching, and I look directly at him. In the corner of my eye, I see D-9099 grabbing something from his pocket.

Before either of them could do anything, I create vines to tie D-9178 to the ground. One down. I grab the knife with my gloved hand, taking the blade out as my wounds almost immediately healed. I don't think they noticed it though, as my clothes didn't regenerate, nor did the blood staining my clothes go away.

I stand from my bed, just watching the D-Class with the calmest expression and posture I could muster. This seemed to throw off the two.

I put my hand to the wall, and unbeknownst to D-9099, vines would appear behind him.

D-9899 lunges towards me, and that is when I make the vine grab D-9099, throwing him at terminal velocity at D-9899. They collide into each other, promptly knocking the both of them out. It is only then that I started approachind D-9178, causing him to panic and start struggling.

I've noticed that his left arm seemed a little out of place - I think I may have twisted it while tying him to the ground. So I made the vines vanish. He immediately gets up, runs to the door, and starts attempting to kick it open.

I look at the window. Scientists are still taking notes, and Bright was staring back at me.

I look back at D-9178, approaching more slowly. He turns to look at me, cowering against the door.

And to the surprise of almost every scientist watching, I extend my ungloved hand. Waiting for him to grab it.

He flinched against the door upon doing so, so I called out his number. "What do you want?! Leave me alone!" He practically screamed in my face, while pressing his back against the door. He looks like he was about to cry.

"My hand," I began, watching as his face changed from fear to confusion. "I want you to take it." "Why should I trust you?! You're going to kill me!"

"Please, you don't need to yell. Your arm," I pointed at his left arm, him looking at it. "I think I accidentally injured you, tying you to the ground. Forgive me, it's hard to not deal damage while getting attacked. It's twisted. If you take my hand, I can regenerate it for you."

He shakes his head rapidly. "Look, I know you don't trust me," I then point to the two unconscious men near my bed, "but I can prove to you I can heal your injuries by healing those two over there. I don't really want to do that however, as they will wake up and attack me again. So let me offer you this; you take my hand, and I will help your friends regardless of whether they attack me or not."

Utter silence. I look over at the scientists again, they have stopped writing. Waiting for what will happen.

I feel someone take my ungloved hand, and while staring at the scientists, I smile as I intertwine my fingers with his. I hear a gasp as I knew he was watching his twisted arm revert to being, well, non-twisted.

I then walk away from D-9178, taking off my other glove, approaching the two unconscious D-Class. With both hands, I gently touched their foreheads, watching as the injuries they obtained from the fight disappear.

And the two wake up.

"Fuck- it's right next to us-" D-9899 yelled, immediately running towards the door. D-9099 backed into a corner, quickly looking around.

"This concludes the test. All D-Class, please remain calm and stay put as we extract you from the containment chamber."

I look over at Dr. Bright as he gives me a thumbs up, and I look back at the door when I hear it open. Guards rushed into the room, handcuffing the D-Class and pulling them out of the room. I also notice the extra scientists leave.

The door closes and the window turns back to a mirror. Just like that, I'm alone again.