Love and Monsters

Start from the beginning

"Can't a family be a team?" the Doctor asked in confusion.

"I'm really not family, though," Rose shook her head.

The Alchemist blinked. "'Course you are!" she said, putting her hand on Rose's shoulder. "We're sisters, Rose!" She grinned. "Which means you and the Doctor are in-laws!"

The two blinked and stared at each other. "Oh, no," was all Rose had to say.

"Jackie's my mother-in-law?" the Doctor asked, eyes wide in a bit of fear.

"What's wrong with my mum?" Rose protested, narrowing her eyes.

"Oh, here we go," the Alchemist sighed, rubbing her forehead.

"Second time today you said that!" the Doctor pointed at her with a grin.

"So?"

"So . . . you've got your phrase!"

"Phrase?" the Alchemist repeated, blinking. "What was my first one?"

"Bozo."

The Alchemist snorted loudly. "Doctor, I love you, but that nickname's never going to go away. You're stuck with it."

"Nice," Rose giggled when her phone rang. "Speaking of Mum," she said, putting it on speaker. "Mum?"

"Rose!" Jackie's voice sounded panicked. "Are you all right? You and the Doctor and Ali, are you all right?"

"We're fine, Jackie," the Alchemist answered, frowning. "What's wrong?"

"There was this boy, who I might have gotten a bit attached to . . . he's looking for you! All of you! He had a picture of Rose in his pocket!"

"What?" Rose gasped, eyes wide.

"And what exactly is his name?" the Doctor asked, narrowing his eyes and going to a scanner.

"Elton. Elton Pope."

"We'll find him and take care of it, Jackie," the Alchemist promised. "Don't worry."

"Just be safe, you three."

"With the Doctor?" The Alchemist smirked. "No promises."

"Oi!" the Doctor complained before his eyes widened. "Gotta go," he told Jackie, ending the call.

"You found him?" Rose asked, looking over his shoulder.

"Uh huh. And he's in trouble." He landed the TARDIS, then stepped out, raising an eyebrow at the Slitheen-like monster with faces all over his body standing above a terrified Elton Pope. "Someone wants a word with you," he said casually.

Rose stepped out, glaring at Elton, completely disregarding the alien . . . or not caring about it at all. "You upset my mum!" she accused.

Elton gawked at her. "Great big absorbing creature from outer space, and you're having a go at me?"

"No one upsets my mum!"

"At last," the alien grinned. "The greatest feast of all. The Doctor."

"Interesting," the Doctor tilted his head as the Alchemist stepped out, her coffee cup in both hands. "A sort of . . . Absorbatrix? Absorbaclon?"

"No, Absorbaloff," the Alchemist corrected.

"Absorbaloff, yes!" the alien nodded with a grin. "And his Bonded, the Alchemist, I assume?"

"Yeah, I got a makeover," she grinned. "I like this one, though."

"Me, too," the Doctor grinned, kissing the top of her head.