One | The Blackwells

(Two years until the Battle of Hogwarts...)

"Behave and be civil while you're out there."

Genevieve Blackwell adjusted a strand of her daughter's curly red hair and tucked it behind her ear. "Honestly, Vera, it's not that hard to get along with someone for a couple of hours."

The young girl gave a sigh, followed by a nod as she looked at the dance floor that was crowded with dancing people ranging from young teens to elderly witches and wizards.

The balls and parties that the Ministry of Magic hosted were always grand events, fit only for the richest employees who had the money and means to help fund the Wizarding World and keep the Ministry on its feet.

Everyone was clothed in their best evening gowns, suits, and dress robes. Veralee Blackwell wore the dress her mother had laid out for her two weeks in advance. It was a long, navy dress. Despite its simplicity, it cost well over three times what the average working witch or wizard's weekly salary would be.

Money was never a problem for the Blackwells. Being one of the original pureblood families that helped found and establish the Ministry in the eighteenth century- and existed long before that, was a good enough example as to why they were so well off.

"Behave..." Veralee's mother whispered the words a final time before they both looked up to see the people who approached them.

"Genevieve, dear, it's so good to see you!" Narcissa Malfoy spoke with a cheery voice as Mrs. Blackwell opened her arms, greeting the woman in a way that old friends would address each other.

The two women were- at most, acquaintances. In some cases, such as attending publicized events like these, they were seen as 'friends', but it was all just a fake front they put up to keep things civil.

As two of the most powerful pureblood families, there had always been a rivalry. While each bloodline strived to be superior when it came to wealth and reputation, there was a larger common factor displayed behind closed doors.

Who could do the most for the Dark Lord?

It was a difficult task, seeing that both families' every move was being watched. It was hard to get away with anything when both Cyrus Blackwell and Lucius Malfoy both worked in high positions for the Ministry.

After the fall of the Dark Lord after the first wizarding war, both families' loyalty faded slightly- but that was the thing... the Blackwells weren't actually loyal to him. Mr. Blackwell just made a bad deal at the wrong time, getting him and his family roped into an endless amount of tasks that never cycled out.

First it was Cyrus, then his wife- and eventually his oldest child and only son, Lucas Blackwell, was brought into it too, getting the dark mark just like his mother and father. They all knew that eventually one of the younger siblings might end up getting the mark too, but they would try their best to prevent any of their three daughters from having to join them.

"Well, don't you just look lovely, my dear..." Mrs. Malfoy sent Veralee a warm smile as she looked the girl up and down.

Vera thanked her, but her eyes didn't stay on the woman very long before they drifted to the teenage boy standing beside her.

Draco Malfoy avoided making eye contact in hopes that he could get out of talking to her- that is until his mother nudged him in the arm with her elbow. When he didn't acknowledge her, Narcissa cleared her throat in a calm manner.