Chapter 1 | Newly Single

I can't believe I broke up with him, on our one-year anniversary

I can't believe I broke up with him, on our one-year anniversary. My heart felt free but still hurt.

Walking out of the restaurant I asked the valet for my car. As he pulls up, I pay the fee and drive away. To the place where we used to call home but now it's a new apartment for rent. I had given the landlord my lease so now he has no place to live. The restaurant was not too far from the apartment which I prefer. Parking the car, I get out and enter the building. Making my way up the stairs I unlocked the door one last time. The place looks the same with a few boxes of my belongings. As I stared at the boxes, I did what I had always wanted to do.

Cry.

Tears wouldn't stop coming. I broke up with him, why am I the one crying? He's the one that got dumped. Not me. Taking out my phone from my purse I dial the only number I knew from memory. After the third ring he picked up.

"Rissa?" he said.

I couldn't respond, only let out a shaky breath.

"Larissa," this time his voice sounded concerned.

"Daniel," I took a pause, "I broke up with him."

Both of us stood in silence for a minute. Daniel has been my best friend since high school when he transferred. He was the only guy I could open to besides my boy- ex boyfriend. He knew this was bound to happen. I've been waiting for the right moment to call it quits. I wanted to find him cheating, sneaking out, anything to leave the relationship.

But I didn't.

He took a deep breath, "Wow you actually did it," he let out a chuckle, "I don't understand one thing" I knew exactly what he was thinking about it, "Why are you crying?"

My brain didn't know either, "I wish I knew. Look, can you come to my place? I still have a few boxes I need to take." I was leaving for Boston next week. There was an internship at Massachusetts General Hospital for pediatric nurse surgeons. The chief of the pediatric wing had contacted my advisor about the internship.

"Alright I'll be there in ten," I ended the call.

Gathering myself wiping away the tears I walk to the room to see if there are remaining boxes I need to take out. His stuff was still in the closet untouched for three days. This dinner was our one-year anniversary. We meant to celebrate the whole week, but he had left three days ago to God knows where. He didn't bother telling where he was going; he left. Today he called me saying to meet up at the restaurant. But what he didn't know was that those three days he was gone I was packing.

The bullshit grew more and more, and it was time to end it. Tired of everything he made me go through. Our relationship was at its peak the first few months but as I got busier with nursing school everything changed. A knock interrupted my thoughts. Walking towards the door I investigated the peephole where Daniel was. Opening the door, he gave me a tight hug. I cried once again but this time I couldn't stop the tears.