48-LATIFA'S FIRST DAY

Start from the beginning

"Yeah it's good, they'll help us unbox our ordered materials," Fatima grinned.

*

Latifa was dressed professionally in a black Mango slack and matching suit with a veil wrapped around her head like a mini hijab. Her face was caked up lightly with little kohl that she used to line her eyes and lipgloss as she read through the rules and regulations in the company, it was her first day so she wouldn't dare to embarrass herself even though the boss knows her. She checked the time on her Prada wristwatch as the car came to a halt.

"8:20 am, I have ten minutes to sign in," She let out a sigh of relief and quickly alighted the Uber car after paying the driver.

Latifa looked at the gigantic glass building before her as people trooped in and out, some were dressed in suits while others looked like janitors.

"Here goes nothing," Letting out yet another sigh, she entered the building after the electronic doors opened.

She couldn't help but give the place a once over, the headquarters of Rashad's company was much more than she expected, much more. The building may be captivating from the outside but inside was just exquisite. Some people spared her a glance and minded their business while some looked at her and laughed, thinking that she came to look for a job in an impossible place.

"Hello, Madame," Latifa greeted the receptionist with a tight-lipped smile. The receptionist, who was a woman in her early thirties, looked at Latifa with disdain before acknowledging her presence.

"How may I help you?" asked the receptionist.

"I am the--" Latifa started but trailed off when the receptionist cut in.

"You want to meet the manager for a job interview and yet, you're dressed like this. Let me tell you, this isn't a place where you put on makeup and act all innocent, admit it, you just want to have your way with our boss!" The receptionist eyed her with annoyance and scorn as the people who heard their banter laughed lightly.

Latifa was beyond embarrassed, it seemed like the words were stuck in her throat. She never expected her first day to be so bad but she didn't want to sound rude either so she decided to be on the safe side.

"I'm sorry Miss, but I'm—" She started again but this time around, the receptionist wasn't even looking at her.

The said woman was shivering with trepidation as though she sighted a ghost in the middle of the night. Not only that, all the people around her were equally intimidated. Latifa found it weird so she looked around, only to see an austere Ahmad coming in with an air of hauteur, he was dressed flawlessly in a white Balmain suit and matching slacks, and on his feet were Giorgio Armani office shoes. A black sunshade was perfectly perched on his long, pointed nose as huge armed guards dressed in black clothes circled him.

"She's my new personal assistant, Miss Latifa Imran. Anyone who disrespects her is as good as disrespecting me, so don't even go there. Miss Latifa, meet me in my office now," And with that, he strolled away.

Now, Latifa was the topic of discussion as she looked at the receptionist who was grinning widely. The people looked at her with jealousy, wondering why he chose a new worker as his assistant, and upon all that, it was the first time he ever defended a worker.

"Miss Latifa, welcome to our company. I'll see you at the cafeteria during lunch," said the receptionist who grinned widely at Latifa. The said girl was still in a daze at the newly found respect given to her. Some were even greeting her while others gossiped.

After she finally made it to the forty-ninth floor, she was gasping for air because she took the stairs. The general lift stops at the forty-eight floor, and only the boss's lift reaches the final floor.