An Amish Teenager's World

Introductory

Life is harder for me than people think.  I mean think about it... Being the middle child of 5 kids plus one on the way, being the only Amish kid in your neighborhood that goes to a public school, being the only Amish kid in your whole school, and dealing with all my siblings, parents, family, and family friends all the time. 

My family is obviously different that most Amish families.   My mamma and dat want by four siblings to learn to deal with obsticles in life, including going to a place where people mock you constantly, you have no friends, and being made fun of in your own neighborhood about going to a big Englisher school, instead of going to the one house schoolroom.  The big downside of going to the Englisher school is that I'm the smartest one in the class, no, cross that, GRADE, and I get made fun of.  Rumor has it that you get praised for being the smartest one in the class in the Obadiah School Room.  If only I could go to Obadiah and I would bet you lots of money that I'd be much better off, then being no gut here.  

My family consists of dat and mamma, my oldest brother and sister (the twins) Carl and Carly (16), me; Sarah (13), Samantha (5), , and Jacob (2).  Plus we can't forget the fact that mamma is expecting another baby which is exciting for all of us. 

An Amish life is very different from a regular Englisher's life.  We only use basic technology like ovens. refridgerators, telephones (not the small ones, the ones that you put on the wall), and other basic things like that.  We also use running water.  That means regular showers, toilets, sinks, that kind of stuff.  But other than the basics we do not use most electronics.  The young Englishers these days would probably die from what I can tell and have noticed.  It doesn't take that long to notice that in a public school in the 21st century.

Chapter 2: Life in General

Us members of the Amish Church are pressured by the people in the modern world.   As time has gone by our traditions have started to change, we even have influenced some of the things in the popular culture.  What we did influence I'm still trying to figure out.  It might be the fact that I spend five days a week and seven and a half hours with brain dead, immiture children.  But that all will all be over soon.  Traditionally the Amish do not educate us children past the 8th grade.  I will be turning fourteen in nearly ten days, and school is almost over which means the end of my educated life, lucky I'm smarter than most and can learn things easily than others.  

What is extremely annoying is when mamma or dat and I go into town to get groceries or something like that people always try to take a picture of us or something or sometimes even video tape us.  Dat always says that's the only time you need to look down.  Otherwise always keep your head up about our ways, and about the Amish Church.   Dat always has the best advice!

Chapter 3: Ending

All in all being Amish really isn't that bad.  I just usually just keep my nose down, and keep to myself in general.  But really when you think about it, it's like everything else in life.  Whether it's your race, belief, culture,  etc...  

But I guess all I'm really saying is no matter who you are, you're never gonna be any better than anyone else.  Just equal.  Even though you may just be a little Amish Girl.