Chapter Nineteen

Narnerra's chambers were not far from the Great Hall and as she and Thorin made their way along the narrow corridor, Arielle couldn't help but look over at him. Somehow, he looked even more handsome than ever now. Was it because of what happened between them? Or her knowing how he felt about her? She didn't know for certain, but what she did know what that she'd never seen a man as handsome as the one strode beside her, looked over his shoulder and then to her surprise, caught her about the waist to drag her to him for a teasing kiss.

"Thorin, we are going to get caught!"

"Ask me if I care."

"You say that now."

"I mean it now." He set her back and gestured to the door at the end of the corridor. "Narnerra."

Voices floated from the infirmary as Thorin caught the door handle and turned. As she followed him into the room, Arielle's heart stopped when she saw Belle already there, with Narnerra clucking over her like a mother hen.

"You!" Belle just missed hitting Narnerra as she threw a hand out in Arielle's direction. "Your Highness, do you see this? Do you see what this—this—man did to me?"

Thorin stepped around Narnerra, arms folded, and studied her. "It is my understanding the lad was but defending himself after you struck him first."

"A lie!" Belle's curls bounced with her fury and Arielle didn't miss how Narnerra rolled her eyes, biting the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing. "He was rude and impertinent and I demand you sack him at once!"

Narnerra stepped away. "Please, stop screaming in my ear, my lady."

Belle's cheeks went red and she clamped her lips together. Narnerra sighed softly. "Thank you."

Then she turned to Thorin. "What brings you down here, Your Highness?"

"A sore shoulder that refuses to heal." Then, to Arielle's surprise, he gestured to her. "But, take a look at Elen's cheek first. I'm concerned it might have been broken. And his hand as well. It seems," he shot Belle a pointed look, "the lad was forced to defend himself yesterday. And no, Miss Caisys, I will not be sacking him this morning or any other for that matter."

Belle's eyes narrowed, Arielle fought back a groan as she mentally kicked Thorin in the shin, and Narnerra couldn't hold back her look of surprise. "You wish me to examine the boy before you?"

Thorin nodded. "If you would, yes."

"Of course."

Arielle cleared her throat. "His Highness is merely being generous. His should has been bothering him for weeks, but he's been too stubb—" She cast a sidelong glance at him—"too busy to have it looked at before now."

Narnerra nodded. "I think we should look at it first as well." She caught him by the elbow and gestured to one of the four doors along the one wall. "For privacy."

Arielle waited to see if he'd insist she came with them, which would absolutely raise eyebrows, but to her relief, he allowed the healer to steer him toward them. As the door closed behind them, she turned back to see Belle glaring at her.

"How dare you think to come here," Belle growled.

"Am I not allowed to seek medical help?" She offered up a wide-eyed stare. "You did hit me."

"You had it coming."

"Why? Because I wouldn't let you continue to attack Kusela? She'd done nothing wrong. And you know that as well as I do."

"She ruined something of mine."

Arielle rolled her eyes. "Oh, she did not."

"It won't matter, for when I am queen, you and that old prune will be tossed from here. By way of the ramparts, if I have anything to say about it."