Heart to Heart

After returning to the Neutronium Records office, Nora's attitude was strictly professional. She and Tori read through the last of the legal contracts, with no implicit teasing or jabs that Tori could hear. Once she signed the last form, Nora gathered them all in a large folder labeled with Tori's name and stowed it in her bag.

"Thank you for your time, Ms. Vega," Nora said plainly, getting up and slinging the bag over her shoulder, "We'll see you tomorrow."

Tori raised her hand, wanting to say something, but when she glanced up at Nora, she was holding her finger up to her lips—expression unchanged—to remind her that they weren't alone anymore. Resigned, she settled back down in her seat, but unprepared to hear Nora whisper in her ear.

"When Jade's ready to talk, this is where she can find me."

A business card fell in front of Tori with Nora's name and contact information on the front. Turning it over, she saw the name and address for a high-end hotel. Before she could reply, Nora was already out of the office without a word.

Settled back in her car, Tori collected her thoughts; from Nora's casual façade that morning fading into her true colors at lunchtime. She was mentally debating how to break it all to Jade-which prompted her to check her phone again; showing the message was still in digital limbo. She groaned, frustrated that a dead zone could suspend a message sent literal hours ago, and started her drive back to the Weston Theater.

It didn't take long to spot Jade standing almost exactly where she was dropped off that morning. Tori did her best to put on a smile as Jade slid into the passenger's seat, but as they turned to face each other, it was clear that Jade was trying to wear a smile as well.

"So..." Tori bit her lip, reaching for Jade's hand and deciding not to break the news right away, "Good first day?"

"I was just about to ask you," Jade took her hand, rubbing it with her thumb.

"My day's gonna take a while to explain," Tori swallowed hard, "But first thing's first, your—" The sound of knocking on her window cut her off. She turned toward it and was suddenly met with a familiar, elderly face pressed almost right against the glass. With a shriek, Tori jumped back into Jade's arms, apparently opened in anticipation and her eyes narrowed to better see the familiar face.

"Hello, Tori!" Erwin Sikowitz waved excitedly from outside, "What a small world, eh?"

Her eyes now wide in disbelief, Tori looked up at Jade, who looked back down, saying through her grin, "Surprise?"

"Sikowitz!" Tori rolled down her window after settling back in her seat, "What are you doing here?!"

Their former teacher chuckled as he crossed his arms, "After you two graduated, I was starting to think it was time I made a change, and when Jade had asked me for a reference at my old theater a few weeks ago, I thought 'Why not come back here?' So I did!"

"So now I'm shadowing Sikowitz," Jade added, "As he directs the local talent and teaches acting exercises, just like the good ol' days!" Tori could tell she was saying that with half-baked enthusiasm while Sikowitz's enthusiasm was full-on coconuts.

"I'd love to stay and catch up, but I hear the coconuts a-calling inside!" Sikowitz waved ta-ta, but not before leaning over the window, "And congrats, by the way! I was always rootin' for you two~" With a wink, he dashed back up the steps to the theater's entrance.

Now alone together in the car, Jade sighed heavily and sunk back into her seat. Tori faced her with concern, "You okay?"

"I'm fine," Jade grunted, "Since Sikowitz is here, I passed the interview easily. I just wasn't expecting my first day of work to be so much like our old classes. I just don't know if I can handle another blindside like that today..."