Roommates First

Beginne am Anfang

"Alright," Mrs. Vega took one of the coffee cups between them and sipped it quietly, "First things first: Jade, do your parents know you're here?"

Jade coughed a bit, realizing her throat was dry from all the silence, and cleared it with coffee before answering, "I haven't talked to my dad in months; not since he moved to Europe after marrying that ska...gank. I told my mom I was going on a trip with Tori...but I may not have told her how long it would be for."

Tori interjected, fearful that Jade's last words were already raising a big red flag, "I asked Jade to join me at the last minute! Trina will back me up on that! I traded the first-class ticket they sent me for two coach tickets, so that's why we arrived later than we initially thought."

"And apparently with only your luggage, Tori," Mrs. Vega raised an eyebrow at Jade's lack of any belongings besides her messenger bag. "Tell me, Jade, was that one-piece pajelehoocho the only thing you planned on wearing while you're here?"

Jade resisted the urge to snap back at her, knowing it wouldn't ease the tension one bit, and simply shook her head, "I was planning to go shopping for new clothes here. I can afford it. If you're worried about money, I'm not going to mooch off of Tori or anything! In fact, I already have a job prospect here thanks to our teacher, Sikowitz!"

"You mean the hippie teacher who admitted Trina because he was tripping on a spoiled coconut?" Mr. Vega asked suddenly before being cut off by his wife's glare.

"Well, I can see you've both put some thought into this. But I still have a hard time believing my daughter has fallen in love with someone who dumped coffee on her head, tried to trigger her deadly allergy to bush daisies, and nearly sabotaged a party she organized herself!"

Jade would have interjected that Tori sabotaged her show first with that "prome", but Tori's grip tightening over her hand held her back. Instead, Tori did her best to explain for the both of them.

"Look, Mom. I made it no secret that I hated Jade at first. I thought we'd never be friends with all that stuff she and I did to each other! But we're not the same girls we were all those years ago. We've come to appreciate so much more about each other, and I wouldn't even have this opportunity if Jade hadn't given up her chance to open for the Platinum Music Awards that night! I know this all seems so sudden and hasty—and maybe it is—but it doesn't change how I feel about Jade. I really like her, and I want to give this...us...a chance while we still can!"

Her arms still crossed, Mrs. Vega scoffed and turned to her husband, "David, come on, say something!"

David Vega took a long look at his wife's glaring eyes, his daughter's pleading eyes, and finally the goth's eyes darting all over the place. Catching Jade's gaze, he tried to give her a smile, which Jade responded to with a reluctant smile of her own. "Jade...do you feel the same way? You really like my daughter?"

Jade nodded more than necessary, "I do, sir—Mr. Vega! I know I never really showed it, but Tori means a lot to me—more than I even knew until now. I wouldn't be here if I didn't feel this way about her. I know she's your daughter, and you'll always be protective of her, but I promise I won't do anything to hurt her or her career! I'll help pay the rent, I'll earn my keep, and I'll support her as long as...as she's willing to have me." Jade's face turned scarlet as she reached for Tori's hand, realizing her words sounded more like marriage vows than a simple promise to her parents. Tori responded with a smile and took Jade's hand in hers happily.

David took a long look at Jade's sincere gaze toward Tori and shrugged, "I dunno, Holly. I think she's telling the truth, and after all, our daughter's grown up; more than her sister, anyway. I think she deserves a chance, at least..."