Not to mention the fact that, on numerous occasions, Shikamaru had witnessed Naruto training on his own, outside of class. He'd caught him doing so well with his target practice, hitting every single one on the first try so easily, that it almost seemed like when Naruto missed during class, it was actually harder than hitting the targets.

There were several instances where Shikamaru had seen Naruto perform a jutsu that he shouldn't have been able to do, with such ease, that the Pineapple was left baffled.

One such occasion, Shikamaru had been asked(read: told) by his mother to go buy groceries, and he stumbled upon the blond training. The Pineapple stopped in his tracks simply to watch, and was amazed when he saw Naruto use a wind blade jutsu and slice through a tree in front him with such accuracy, it didn't damage any other tree or blade of grass in the immediate area.

Shikamaru was almost caught watching, and quickly hurried on with his task.

Students were being called one by one and sent to a separate classroom to be tested on their jutsu knowledge and ability. When Shikamaru was called, he passed Naruto and saw the blond simply staring out the window, as if he didn't even care that this could affect whether he would be a shinobi, or remain in the academy for another year.

Of course, the resident genius passed, but being the laziest student as well, he just barely did so.

It was Naruto's turn, and he was asked to do clone justu and create three perfect clones, a substitution jutsu, and a transformation jutsu.

"That guy with the light blue hair is planning something. He smells like snakes," Kurama spoke up. Naruto gave an internal nod, and forced himself to do his absolute worst.

Of course, he wanted to do a good transformation, so he went with his mask's goofy transformation, and caused the proctors to all get bloody noses. Kurama was sent into a rolling fit of laughter, and Naruto acted the fool as he guffawed loudly at the shocked faces.

When it came to the clone Jutsu, he knew he couldn't do it, and wouldn't even attempt to do it well, when he could barely make one decent clone.

The three clones almost looked like copies when the printer was running out of ink and the paper was left in the rain.

Naruto was quickly told he failed his exam, and walked out with a bowed head, only to hear what some of the proctors had to say behind his back, knowing full well he could still hear them.

"I'm so glad that demon brat didn't pass this time," one said.

"I know what you mean," replied a second. "Can you imagine all the hell we'd have to go through trying to keep that beast in the village if it ever became a ninja?"

Naruto had heard enough. He ran out of the building, to his one safe place: the swing. Sadly, it wasn't that safe.

"Hey, Naruto," said a somewhat familiar voice. The blond looked up, for once letting a little of his genuine emotions through. "I heard you failed your exam today."

Naruto simply nodded, and went back to looking down at the ground, wishing this guy would just leave him alone already.

"I was told by Iruka-sensei, that there's another way for you to pass." Naruto seemingly perked up at this prospect. "All I want you to do, is steal the 'Scroll of Sealing' from right under the Sandaime's nose and bring to me in the forest near the village wall. If you can do that, without getting caught, you'll have proven that you can be a good ninja, and pass your remedial graduation exam. Sound good?"

Naruto again simply nodded. Mentally though, he was groaning. He couldn't believe this guy was so stupid as to ask a child to steal something like a forbidden scroll. Then again, the blond figured the guy must work for the old missing nin Orochimaru, which would explain it.