Chapter 96 - Leviathan

Start from the beginning

The shadow woman sighs once more.

"Unfortunately there is only so much I can do. I provided the kryptonite to Lex Luthor at orders from Leviathan. If I were to disobey them, and not carry out that order, someone else would have just done it, and I would have been punished." The shadow woman says.

"But what about now? You just saved me from Lex Luthor. Are you telling me Leviathan have allowed you to do this?" Kara asks.

"No. They have not." The shadow woman replies, "I will be punished for freeing you from Lex Luthor. But once you are free, I will take my punishment, as I have done in the past. Then Leviathan will move on, and have another use for me."

Kara remains silent again for a moment.

"What sort of punishment will you get?" Kara asks.

"I do not know." The shadow woman replies.

"I can tell you are lying." Kara says.

The shadow woman chuckles.

"Can you hear my heartbeat? Have you already recovered some of your powers?" The shadow woman asks, with a slight smile.

"No." Kara replies, "But I don't need to be able to hear someone's heartbeat to be able to tell that they are lying to me."

The shadow woman nods her head, and then sighs.

"Honestly the punishment I will receive is unknown to me. I have only been punished a few times in the past. The first time I was punished, I was stripped naked and beaten and whipped for.... a day or so." The shadow woman explains.

Kara's eyes go wide in horror.

"Then the second time.... I was.... locked in a room.... in the dark..... for..... I don't know how long...... But when I came out.... I had forgotten who I was before I entered that room.... Leviathan had.... remoulded me.... or something. I am unsure." The shadow woman explains.

Kara now grows a confused look on her face.

"So.... you do not know who you were before they put you in that room?" Kara asks.

The shadow woman shakes her head.

"I didn't for a while. For several years I believed everything that Leviathan told me. That I was a tool, or a weapon, to be used for their benefit. But over the last few years, things began to come back to me. Memories of my life before I was a pawn in Leviathan's game. I of course did not make Leviathan aware of that. But I do now have most of my memories from before." The shadow woman explains.

"That sounds horrible... Why would you risk such a punishment to save me?" Kara asks.

"Because of your daughter." The shadow woman replies.

"Alura?" Kara asks.

The shadow woman nods her head.

"Your.... girlfriend told her that you are missing..... and your daughter has been upset ever since.... I could not allow another daughter to be separated from her mother." The shadow woman says.

Kara doesn't really know what to say next. Kara on the one hand is very grateful that this shadow woman helped her escape from Lex Luthor. But on the other hand, Kara is absolutely devastated to know just how upset Alura is, and it is her being that upset that has led to this woman breaking her out in the first place.

"Anyway..." The shadow woman eventually says, after several moments of silence, "You need to rest, regain some of your strength."

"Can't you teleport me back to my girlfriend? Or to the DEO?" Kara asks.