Part Eight: The Rest Of Group B

Start from the beginning

"Where's Marcus?" I asked Minho.

"Left him tied to the chair. Someone'll find him, or they won't, I don't really care." He said and I shrugged, not really caring what happened to the man either.

"You think I was a little too violent?" I asked but he scoffed.

"No, it was hot." He said and I turned to look at him and the embarrassment was prominent on his face. Minho was someone who was used to just saying the first thing that came to his head, I found.

"What?" I asked, still not sure if I heard him right.

"I-it was n-not. It was not." He stuttered and now I was really confused.

"Not what?"

"It was not, uh, dumb." He said and I furrowed my eyebrows with a confused smile. "It was not dumb, it was smart and cool."

"Very smooth Minho." Newt said as he made his way over to the front seat.

"Why are you always listening to our conversations?!" Minho yelled at him as the boy walked around the car. "Ya dumb shank, go limp away." He then muttered under his breath.

"Heard that!" Newt said and I really thought Minho was going to stick his tongue out like a child.

"You were supposed to!" Minho shouted back and Newt laughed as he disappeared into the car. Minho looked at me and he was slightly red, I laughed a little and he seemed to relax more.

"Come on, let's get out of here." I said, jumping into the car and placing myself at the window. Minho sat directly beside me and Brenda was behind me. I tried not to, but I found myself turning to look at her and she looked worse then before. She and I held eye contact for a long time before she spoke.

"Can we talk about it later?" She asked hoarsely and I nodded. Now I knew that she remembered telling me she had the Flare. I wondered if maybe Thomas knew too?

I turned back around and sighed, leaning my head against the window of the car as my dad drove forward. I watched as the city disappeared and the Scorch replaced the view. The road we drove on was rocky and broken, but it was okay.

We were about twenty minutes into the car ride and the surroundings weren't changing. Everyone had been silent for that time, Brenda already asleep and everyone else beginning to doze off. Then, I watched as Newt pressed a button on what I thought was a broken radio. Jorge looked at him seriously.

"You don't want to do that hermano." The man warned but Newt seemed confused.

"Well, it's too late, I already pressed it. It's broken anyway." Newt said but as it turns out, it wasn't all that broken because shortly after he said that, music started playing.

It was a soft melody at first, being some kind of stringed instrument. I knew this song almost immediately and at first I was a little nervous. The last time I heard this song...

"Wouldn't it be nice if we were older? Then we wouldn't have to wait so long..."

Wouldn't it be nice by The Beach Boys. I couldn't stop, this song was my favourite of all time. It was also a song that my mother loved, and it was all I truly had left of her so I clung to it.

"And wouldn't it be nice if we lived together, in the kind of world where we belong?"

I wasn't exactly the best singer but I sang along nonetheless. Newt was laughing with my dad and the others but I was having too much of a main character moment to notice. I turned dramatically and looked at Minho, giving him the biggest smile he had ever probably seen on me. I took both his hands and continued the song as it played out for me.