Chapter 4

The mirror only reflected what Nina had known. She looked a fright. Her eyes were puffy. She looked drawn. She splashed cold water on her face. She reached for the tissue and noticed the framed collage of postcards hanging on the wall. She'd bet they were places Sam had been to. She peered closely. There wasn't any postcard from Manila. Yet.

Nina found Sam on the couch, his broad back towards her, his shoulders and head at an angle. She could hear music−strings. A guitar. Then his voice−slightly husky and smooth, like rich liquid chocolate. He was singing softly. The song was familiar but she couldn't place it. She paused, listening to him sing about wanting this girl to be with him here, there and everywhere.

She walked towards him quietly, so as not to disturb him. Fail. He looked up but didn't stop singing. She sat beside him, captivated as he sang about not caring as long as that girl was beside him. He didn't break eye contact. By the end of the song, Nina was left out of breath. "That was amazing."

"It's a song by the Beatles." He placed his guitar on the coffee table. "They're one of my favorite bands. I'm also practicing for the school talent show."

"I thought only students participated in them."

"I'm not a contestant." He shook his head. "I'm accompanying one of the students in my class. He's got this amazing, wonderful voice but he's so shy and hesitant to enter the contest."

And somehow she knew Sam had something to do with his student singing in the show. "He agreed to join because you were going to accompany him, right?"

He didn't admit to it but Nina knew by the way he deflected the question. He grinned. "I told him that aside from the opportunity to share his talent to the school that being onstage would also earn him huge points with his crush."

Oh, Sam. You've just racked up a million points with me, she'd almost said when her mobile notification pinged. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and checked.

"Is it your sister?"

"No." It was a promotional text message from a fast-food chain. "Tori must still be in the delivery room." It was nearing nine in the evening and Nina didn't want to wear out her welcome.

As if reading her thoughts, Sam spoke, "This is a sofa bed. I can put out some pillows and blanket for you while you wait for your sister's call. You must be tired."

"And you must have plans of going out. It's a Friday night," Nina said.

"No plans," he stated firmly. "You can hang out here as long as you need to."

He still hadn't asked. She liked that about him. "I didn't get the position."

"The chief residency?" he said quietly.

"You remember." She'd only mentioned it once, over coffee, when she was palpitating. She'd drank too much to keep awake. She was from duty and had to study for an exam. He'd seen her at the coffee shop. She'd hailed him and talked her mouth off, on a caffeine high. He'd told her to take a nap and she blurted out bitterly that she couldn't. She had to ace the test and bring honor to the Fernandez family. She had to be the chief resident like her sister. "I've worked my ass off for two years, never called a sick day, consistently topped my written exams." She shook her head. "I just shouldn't have asked."

Sam knew she wasn't finished. He remained quiet, ready to listen to more.

"The chairman said it was a close competition but that in the end the committee decided based on who they thought could handle the pressure more." Nina gave a small, bitter laugh. "Based on my earlier embarrassing display at the corridor I guess they knew me more than I did."