Chapter 22: Costs of war

Start from the beginning

Still, Iulius did his best to learn that language as much as he could. Because if and when they managed to make contact with the locals, he was sure they would prefer for a flesh and bone Human to speak with them, not a machine.

Their recalcitrance to show up was probably also due to the fact that the first contact with extra-planetary beings had turned into a nightmare for the locals.

While he waited there, he received the news that the smaller outposts, named Cyclops 1-6, had finished construction, while Titan Base, the main stronghold, was at around 70% toward completion.

But most importantly, Commander Bolo entered the room, walking with an almost rushed step, before standing near Iulius, who turned around.

"Admiral," he said. "we managed to establish contact with Coruscant. The Emperor requests your presence."

"Right away." Iulius replied, dropping everything he was doing and going toward the door.

Bolo followed him once the Admiral walked past him.

"Has Agent Jade been notified?" Iulius asked as they walked toward the room of the holo-projector on the bridge.

"She's already waiting, sir." Bolo replied.

Indeed, when they reached the door for the room, Mara was waiting patiently in front of it.

"Commander, keep monitoring the progress on the base construction." Iulius ordered as he opened the door.

"Yes, sir." Bolo replied before heading toward the bridge.

Iulius stepped into the room, let Mara enter and then closed the door again.

They reached the front of the holo-projector and knelt down as the hologram of Emperor Palpatine himself appeared in front of them.

"My Lord." Mara greeted.

"Your Majesty." Iulius said.

"Admiral Tanis." the Emperor said with his slow tone. "Why this delay in contacting me?"

"I apologize, My Lord. We reached the coordinates you sent us after a month, but it took us time to establish a line of communication with the rest of the galaxy." Iulius replied calmly.

The Emperor hummed. "What have you discovered?"

Iulius explained as briefly as he could about the hybrids, how he believed that they were created by the Grysks and that he was trying to establish contact with the Humans on the planet.

"That is all, My Lord. I would've asked your commands before, but there was no way to call you."

"That is why I gave you autonomy, Admiral." Palpatine replied calmly. "As long as you destroy the threat lingering on our borders, I don't care how you will achieve the goal."