Part Seven: Intoxicated

Start from the beginning

"I'm a Crank." She said and I was taken aback. "I've been bitten."

"W-what?" I stuttered but Brenda ignored me, laying her head against my lap and almost instantly began snoring against my thigh.

What did she mean by that? Was she actually bit or was she just too drunk to think straight. It could have very well been both, but I had to make sure. I checked to see if anyone was looking, but no one was. Minho and Fry were helping Jorge with Marcus while the others were all around the sleeping Thomas.

I lifted up the arms of her shirt but I was happy to find no marks. I lifted up her shirt just enough to find no marks on her torso. There were none on her shoulders either. I then lifted one of her legs and found, yet again, nothing. But when I reached over for her other leg, I felt my heart drop. The room was dimly lit, the only lights being the rays that came through the sections of the windows that weren't boarded up with wood, but I could clearly see the black tinted bloody bandage around her lower leg.

Tears welled in my eyes as I looked down to Brenda as she smiled in her dreams. This was my best friend, the girl who was always by my side. I thought that if I were to lose anyone, it wouldn't be her cause she was strong and smart. She was those things, but I just never thought about what would happen if those traits weren't enough. I couldn't lose her, not after my other friends, not after my mother. I just couldn't.

"Hey." I quickly looked up to find Aris standing there, a shy smile on his face. "You okay?" He asked a little more worried.

"What? Oh, yeah." I said, hiding my face in the shadows of the wooden boards.

"Sorry, I thought you were crying." He said and then sat down next to me. Realizing he had sat without asking, he turned to face me to apologize.

"It's fine, you can sit." I said, pushing the evidence of Brenda's bite away from view. This was something I wanted to talk to her about when she was in the right of mind.

"Thomas isn't awake yet, and I swear I keep catching Newt giving Teresa some dirty looks." Aris said and I laughed at the comment. "I think they have some kind of unspoken thing, Newt and Thomas, I mean. I've only known them a few days but it's obvious."

"Yeah, it's definitely unspoken, but the sparks are flying." I said. "I ship it."

"Ship? As in like a boat?" Aris asked and I looked at him strangely, then I remembered the Maze Trials and I was sure he was a part of them too. He probably didn't know the modern day slang just like I didn't know their 'Glader' slang.

"No, people shorten the word relationship to ship. Makes it easier." I told him and he nodded with curiosity. "We also tend to make ship names where you mix two peoples names together."

"Okay, so for them, what would it be?" Aris asked and I thought about it.

"Newtmas." I said proud of myself. "It almost sounds like a holiday."

"Yeah, it's cool." He said with a smile, and then he took a deep breath. "Anyway, I guess we just wait then." He said and I nodded, looking down to Brenda and stroking back her short hair.

"I guess so."

As I waited, Brenda was now awake, staring at the wall blankly. I didn't know if she remembered telling me she had the Flare but she refused to look at me. Newt was still by Thomas's side and Aris was talking to Minho and Fry. My father was having no luck in getting Marcus to talk.

I decided it was time to get up as sitting was beginning to bore me. Normally I would be joking around or having girl talk with Brenda but she didn't seem to be in the mood. I walked over to an open window, one that wasn't boarded, and looked out into the broken city.