UWJ|TT12: The Greatest Hoax

Start from the beginning

13. What power has claimed to have authority to change the law of God?

The Papacy.

"They [the Catholics] allege the Sabbath changed into Sunday, the Lord's day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it appears; neither is there any example more boasted of than the changing of the Sabbath day. Great, say they, is the power and authority of the church, since it dispensed with one of the ten commandments."Augsburg Confession of Faith, Art. 28, par. 9.

"It [the Roman Catholic Church] has reversed the fourth commandment, doing away with the Sabbath of God's Word, and instituting Sunday as a holy day." - History of the Christians by N. Summerbell, page 418.

14. Does the Papacy acknowledge changing the Sabbath?

Question: How prove you that the church hath power to command feasts and holy days?

Answer: By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of and therefore they fondly contradict themselves by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feast days commanded by the same church.- Abridgment of Christian Doctrine by Rev. Henry Tuberville, D. D., of Douay Gollege, France (1649), page 58.

Question: Have you any other way of proving that the church has power to institute festivals of precept?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her,- she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.- A Doctrinal Catechism by Rev. Stephen Keenan, page 174.

Question: Which is the Sabbath day?

Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?

Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because ,the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 336), _ transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.- The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine by Rev. Peter Geiermann, C. SS. R., page 50, third edition, 1913, a work which received the "apostolic blessing" of Pope Pius X, Jan. 25, 1910.

15. Do Catholic authorities acknowledge that there is no command in the Bible for the sanctification of Sunday?

"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify." - The.Faith of Our Fathers by Cardinal James , Gibbons, edition 1892, page 111.

16. Do Protestant writers acknowledge the same?

"Is there no express commandment for observing the first day of : the week as Sabbath, instead of the seventh day? None whatever. Neither Christ, nor His apostles, nor the first Christians celebrated the first day of the week instead of the seventh as the Sabbath." New York Weekly Tribune, May 24,1900.

"The Scriptures nowhere call the first day of the week the Sabbath. .. . There is no Scriptural authority for so doing, nor of course any Scriptural obligation."- The Watchman (Baptist).

"The observance of the first instead of the seventh day rests on the testimony of the church, and the church alone." Hobart Church News (Episcopalian), July 2, 1894.

17. For what reason do some reject the commandment of God?

"Full well do you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition." Mark 7:9.

THE LAW OF GOD

(Exodus 20:2-17)

I- You shall have no other gods before Me.

II- You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any image of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God ,am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, and showing kindness to thousands of those who love Me and keep My commandments.

III- You shall not misuse the name of Yahweh your God, for Yahweh will not hold him guiltless who misuse his name.

IV- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. You shall labor six days and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath to Yahweh your God. You shall do no work in it, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your male servant, nor your female servant. nor your livestock. nor your stranger who is within your gates; for in six days Yahweh made heaven and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; Therefore Yahweh blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

V- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which Yahweh your God gives you.

VI- You shall not murder.

VII- You shall not commit adultery.

VIII- You shall not steal.

IX- You shall not bear false testimony against your neighbor.

X- You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife. nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

THE LAW OF GOD AS CHANGED BY MAN

(As General Catholic Catechism)

I- I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no strange gods before Me. (The Second Commandment has been left out)

II-(actually III) Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.

III- Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day. (The Sabbath Commandment has been changed.)

IV-(actually V) Honour thy father and thy mother.

V-(actually VI) Thou shalt not kill.

VI-(actually VII) Thou shalt not commit adultery.

VII-(actually VIII) Thou shalt not steal.

VIII-(actually IX) Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

IX- (actually X-first part) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.

X-(actually X-second part) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods.

18. What kind of worship is not according to God's commandments?

"This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. But they worship me in vain, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." Mark 7:6, 7.

29. How should we respond when we learn the truth?

"I will hurry, and not delay, to obey your commandments." Psalm 119:60.