𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧ಌ

roger had created a rather strange habit for himself, but could only act on it when his mother was out.

ever since he'd dug through his mother's bathroom drawers once and got into her makeup, he'd found a great fascination with it.

maybe it was something about the colors, or even the variety of products. or perhaps even the feeling he would get just knowing that he shouldn't be putting on his mother's makeup when she wasn't there, but he was always one for mischief.

he had invited john over one afternoon like he would usually do. they would mostly have jam sessions or listens to records together. really just the average things that two music-loving teenage boys would do. but roger had told himself that he was going to tell his best mate john about his new fascination, and just hoped that john wouldn't mind, or would even partake in it as well.

.

now it's nearing about 9:00 at night, and roger knows his mother's shift ends at
midnight. he had been avoiding the whole confession for hours now, but he didn't want to put it off til next time.

so returns back to his bed after talking a record off the turntable and slumps down next to john, who is lazily picking at his bass.

"john, can i tell you something?" he works up the courage to ask. "it might be weird but i trust you."

"yes, of course."

he sighs, avoiding all eye contact, "well one day about a month ago when my mom was working, just like now, i basically rummaged around in her bathroom and um..."

john interrupts, "oh boy, there's a lot of places this could go." he laughs.

"oh shut it, let me finish," he rolls his eyes. "i went in her bathroom and tried on some of her makeup... and ever since then i've had a fascination with it. i'm not sure why but i hope it doesn't make you see me as a freak or something."

"rog, you know that i would never look at you differently for anything, right?" john replies as he sets his bass on the floor. he avoids the makeup bit, which worries roger for a moment but he doesn't think too much about it.

roger doesn't reply and just exhales as he makes poor eye contact with john. he knows that john wouldn't care, but he also understands that it's a bit odd for a boy to like putting on makeup for fun.

john speaks again, "it's not a big deal. you don't need to be ashamed about it, you know? everyone has their own interests and you can't help them sometimes." that reminds john of something and it's makes him laugh, "actually when i was a really young kid i liked to play with my sister's baby dolls."

roger laughs at the thought too, "really? i mistook you as more of a nerdy science-kit sort of kid." he says, half jokingly, which earns him a jab in the side.

"but really roger, i mean it. you are who you are. and just because you like makeup doesn't mean you're necessarily swishy."

"swishy? oh hell, john, that's a terrible word to call it!" roger laughs, "makes me sound like i wear flowers in my hair and walk around the city all dressed up in proper dresses with fancy sun hats."

"well even if you liked that too, it wouldn't matter. not to me, at least." john reassures.

his sincerity really made roger wonder why he was so hesitant to tell him in the beginning. john was his best friend who knew more about him than anyone. there isn't much of a big deal about liking to feel pretty by layering colored powders and creams on your face.

roger stands up off the bed as an idea sparks in his often chaotic mind. "alright john, i really appreciate how reassuring you are, but i have a better idea than sitting in bed and having a confession session with you."