One Step Closer

Steve and Herobrine were in the house. Alex had gone down to get the obsidian that they needed. Steve had tried to object but she insisted.
"Thank you again.."
"Huh?" Steve exclaimed, snapping out of his own thoughts.
"For helping me." Herobrine explained. "You didn't have to help. Neither of you did. But you still are."
Steve is a bit surprised.
"Don't mention it. We're not just gonna leave you when we can do something. That'd just be cruel."
     Herobrine floats closer to Steve.
     "Still... I really appreciate it." He rests his hand on Steve's. Or he tries to. Being incorporeal, his hand phases right through. "You had no reason to trust anything I said."
Steve looks at him.
"Even so, we're willing to take that risk. For better or for worse, you need our help. If this is a bad decision, then we'll clean up the mess. But I'm confident that this is the right thing to do."
Herobrine still isn't used to kindness like this. He's truly touched by what Steve and Alex are doing for him.
     Alex comes through the door, slightly scuffed up with dirt and dust.
    "I was able to get some obsidian, but we still need a bit more to make a portal." She explains.
     "Still, that's a good step in the right direction." Steve says. "We'll get more soon."
"So, Herobrine.." Alex starts. "Once you get your body back, what are you going to do?"
     Herobrine pauses.
     "I'm going to avenge my people. That dragon, I'm going to kill her."
     "How? You said neither of you could defeat the other."
     "I.. don't know. I will do it though."
     Alex looks at Steve and he nods.
     "We can help you with that too if you'd like."
     "I can't ask you to do that. You've already done so much to help. You'd be risking your lives." Herobrine says.
     "We want to help." Steve tells him. "Besides," he adds. "it's not like we have anything better to do."
Herobrine is silent for a few moments.
"If..." he starts. "If you really want to help, then I suppose I shouldn't stop you. Just know that there is a very real risk of death."
"Everything has a risk of death." Alex says. "I'd rather die while fighting for something than die for no reason at all."
If Herobrine could cry, he would be.
"You two are too kind." He says.
"Don't mention it." Steve replies. "Anyways, tell us about this dragon. What should we expect?"
"Right." Herobrine begins. "She lives on a large floating island within the void. We need another portal to get there and if you fall off, you're gone forever. The portal is a one way trip, but while taunting me and my comrades she said that we would never return home because we could never kill her. I have a theory that a portal back will open once she is dead. To kill her, there are magical crystals perched atop pillars around the island. The dragon uses them to heal herself. We need to destroy them if we want to stand any chance against her."
"How powerful is she?" Alex asks.
"Very." Herobrine answers. "We'll need strong gear. I know of a way to strengthen weapons and armor with enchantments. We can do that."
"Ok then." Steve says. "What are we waiting for? Let's make a plan."
     Meanwhile, the Ender Dragon peers through her portal.
     It seems he's found some allies. She thinks to herself. Pitiful. His entire army tried, and now they serve me. Still, they do seem stronger than they look...
     "You." She barks at a nearby enderman. "Go to the holding cell in the nether and tell our guard to expect company."
     The enderman appears to attempt resisting her command.
     "Now." The dragon bellows as her eyes glow. The enderman quickly teleports off to obey the order. This, the dragon thinks, will be very fun to watch.