Chapter 1: Eternal View

Start from the beginning

"Magical."

Kujou Sara seemed pleased with his reaction, nodding her head in agreement,

"Is that so... As one of the Tengu race, we who lurk in the mountains are accustomed to seeing this sight whenever a new day approaches." Sara said, eyeing the entire surroundings in search of any abnormalities before shaking her head after confirming there was nothing wrong.

Her eyes focus once more on the scenery with a soft gaze that expressed slight bits of yearning.

"Though now, this view means something entirely new to the me who is a general. I'd say that this sight... makes me happy. As if what I'm fighting for is truly worthwhile, to defend a scenery like this and immortalize it forever... To me, this scene embodies the eternity I believe in and wish for." Aether listened on to the meaningful words of Sara, not uttering a word.

The Vision Hunt Decree was repealed, the Shogun's way of rule altering had brought many questions to Kujou Sara; who usually followed the Shogun without a second thought.

On top of that, the betrayal of Takayuki had also pierced a hole within Sara's heart unknowingly. For the very first time, the heart of the indomitable Sara wavered.

"I'm... once again, thankful that you accepted my sudden invitation." She thanked Aether again, feeling somewhat embarrassed as she remembered how she invited him earlier on.

Aether, who was eating at the Shimura Restaurant had suddenly been called by her out in the open. Sara originally thought it would be a friendly gesture to him, unfortunately this led to speculation that the Tenryou Commission held a grudge against the savior of Inazuma which made Aether dismiss the rumors immediately.

The two settled the misunderstanding between each other and came up with a date where they would meet.

Though Sara wanted to thank Aether, she had only brought him here simply to give herself an excuse to visit the mountains once more. Throughout the past week, she had questioned her resolve and goal when pouring all her efforts to serve the Shogunate, gradually accumulating more thought-provoking questions within her mind.

She wondered what should she fight for, now that the person who she once respected betrayed the Shogun. And if the Shogun's will is ever fulfilled, what would she do next?

Yet strangely, as she stares at this sight once more, all her worries seemed to dissipate. Sara's purpose was undefined at the moment, the her of the present though seemed interested to search for one.

Aether had noticed this subtle change, unknowingingly letting loose a chuckle as he compared the past Sara who once stood as an enemy to the new Sara.

"Have you found your own ambition now?" Aether asked which made Sara think to herself for a moment.

"Perhaps..- No, I still haven't..." She cut off her unclear words, Sara thought that if she had agreed despite not actually knowing the difference between her personal desire and the Shogun's desire, it'd be lying to both herself and Aether. She pondered her next set of words, finally speaking,

"Inazuma is in an era of change, I suppose that now is the perfect time for me to change alongside it."

"It's okay for you to slowly find something you hold interest in. There's no need for you to force yourself if you really can't think of anything as of now."

"...You're right. The me right now has no clue as to what I personally want to do, but I do know one thing. No matter what happens, I will always stand by to execute the will of thunder." A strong sense of loyalty was still embedded deep within her words but Sara was different in disposition now.

"However, I can't tell whether this loyalty of mine to make the Shogun's wish come true counts as an ambition. If my ambition is solely to carry out the will of the Shogun, then what would happen to me if I ever lose my vision...?" She turned her gaze to the sky, closing them in contemplation. She began to think for herself.

The vision hunt decree was one of the orders she had reluctantly done, which involved trampling on the dreams of others.

It became a regret which would continue to haunt her, as Sara singlehandedly bore the burden of seeing the aftermath of what she had done. The feeling of despair when Sara realized she had essentially done it all for naught became a traumatic moment for her. A decree which only brought sorrow executed due to the continuous spread of lies fed by the Shogun's retainers.

And just when she had finally seemed to have confronted the mastermind... Harbinger La Signora, she was subdued easily without her being able to resist, this made her want to change.

"To swiftly carry out the orders of the Shogun, and be a general befitting of the Shogunate. Those were once my wishes, but back then... Had Guuji Yae and you not told me of the Tenryou Commission's actions... I would have been fighting for a cause which is not that of the Shogun's but instead...for the greed of others." Her austere voice lowered the more she spoke.

The reason she now stands on the mountain belonging to the Tengus... Is because Sara has begun to pick up her identity as a Tengu once more, in order to search for what she truly wants. A lesson was taught to her that blindless devotion can lead to ruin.

"...Though I've witnessed what happened to those who were stripped of their visions first-hand, neither me or the populace can blame you, who was only following orders." Aether said, not revealing the fact that the Shogun had already known the commissions were lying yet desired for the decree to continue. He believed that Sara was in need of a change in mindset so he revealed nothing.

Sara's face turned grim as Aether said that, still blaming herself as it was true that she didn't confirm for herself whether or not the orders given to her truly were the right decision. Aether noticed her change in expression, altering his tone of speech to put her at ease.

"Though Sara, if you ever want to explore more possibilities then ask me anytime. You have individuality as a person, it'll take... a lot of pondering and free time which I know you lack. But, I'm here if you ever need help... It's the least I can do as your training partner!"

"Hmph.." Sara's expression brightened with those words, trying to hold back a smirk to Aether's words.

It was unknown whether Sara was blushing or her face was simply affected by the morning glow, however there was a rosy shade of pink that could be clearly seen at her cheeks. The two stood still for this short while, enjoying each other's presence for now. The peaceful morning was spent in leisure together.

-----