Chapter 14: The Hogsmeade Date

Start from the beginning

He looked from you over to the girl and then back to you, "do you think she might like me?" he asked and you chuckled, "mate, she'd be a fool if she didn't," you reached up and ruffled his hair. He laughed and batted your hands away, and then he pulled you into a tight hug and you patted him affectionately on the back.

When he pulled back he smiled sheepishly at you, "you're the best, Y/N."

"What are friends for, huh Diggory?" you gave him a genuine smile, accepting what you already knew: your feelings for Cedric were only ever platonic, and that was okay. How could you ever have thought otherwise when your mind was always on someone else?

"Damn right, Y/L/N. But you have to promise me something, from one honest friend to another?" he looked at you intently, a small smile playing on his lips, "if I go and talk to Cho, will you please talk to Fred Weasley?"

You almost jumped at his insinuation, but you gathered yourself quickly, "I always talk to Fred."

 Cedric gave you a long, studying look, "I think we both know that I'm not the only one here with someone else on my mind," he raised his eyebrows at you meaningfully.

You threw up your hands and sighed in defeat, knowing that there was no point denying it when it was clear that Cedric could see right through you, "okay I'll talk to him! After the First Task I'll work up the courage and say something."

"I'm holding you to that! No one needs to see more of your sad, longing looks, and I'd rather not be poisoned in my sleep by him, thank you very much" you swatted his arm playfully and he laughed, showing that he was joking, mostly.

"I think I heard them sitting upstairs if you want to go up to them?" Cedric nodded in the direction of the stairs.

You nodded, "yeah I think I will, see you soon?"

"Yeah see you soon, take care Y/N."

You gave him another quick hug and waved at him as you made your way upstairs, the unmistakable sound of laughter and loud banter telling you exactly where your friends were.

You had just reached the top of the stairs when you paused  and looked over the bannisters at the top of the stairs. You saw your friends sitting together at a table near the back, but what stopped you was the sight of Fred's arm laid over the back of Angelina's chair.

And what made you turn around and start walking back down the stairs was when he moved his arm and draped it over her shoulders, pulling her in as he leaned over and said something to make her laugh. 

You knew then that you had to leave, because if you stayed any longer, the tears that were beginning to fill your eyes would spill over. You ran down the last few steps of the stairs while you hurriedly pulled on your winter coat and wrapped your scarf around your neck, and you had just reached for the handle of the front door when a hand tugged on your arm, turning you around.

"Hey, Georgie," you plastered on a smile for your best friend.

"Are you alright, Y/N? I thought I saw you coming upstairs but then you left," George asked, concern written all over his face.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine," you said brightly, hoping it was convincing enough.

"Okay...How was your date with Cedric?"

"It was really good, thanks! I had a nice time. I was actually just heading back," you gestured to the door.

George didn't seem convinced, "why don't you come back upstairs for a bit? We'll probably be going back ourselves shortly." 

You thought of sitting there with everyone while watching Fred fawn over Angelina, and while you wanted them both to be happy and you'd eventually get used to it, it just wasn't something you could deal with right now.

You didn't even feel the tears pooling in your eyes once again until George pinched his eyebrows in worry, putting his hands on your shoulders and peering into your face, "Y/N are you crying?"

You hastily wiped your eyes, "no I'm not! I think I'm just coming down with a cold or something."

You made a move for the door, causing George to drop his hands from your shoulders. "I'll see you back at the castle okay? Enjoy the rest of your afternoon."

Without waiting for an answer you pulled open the door and ducked out, instantly missing the heat of the Three Broomsticks as the cold wind hit your face. You started walking back and tried to think of anything but Fred Weasley, which was next to impossible because every train of thought you had led back to him.

While you walked through the snow you heard fast footsteps behind you. You turned and squinted at the approaching figure, seeing George running towards you as he pulled his wool hat down onto his head. The next thing you knew he was skidding to a stop next to you, but he lost his balance and knocked you down into the snow with him. You both turned to look at each other as you lay flat on the snow and burst into laughter.

You giggled as he started swiping his limbs across the snow, making a snow angel. You could tell he was making an effort to lighten your mood, and it was working so you copied him. He turned to look at you and then he got up and reached out to pull you to your feet as well.

"What are you doing here, George?" you asked him as he walked with you.

"I could hardly let my best mate walk all the way back on her own, now could I?" He grinned at you, you smiled back and linked your arm through his as he put his hands in his pockets.

As you walked back, George told you about the worried letter his mother had owled him about Harry's place in the Tournament, and he also updated you on his and Fred's beef with Ludo Bagman. Apparently the man had gotten a bit nasty and told the twins they were too young to be making bets, and said that he wouldn't be giving them a sickle. They were gutted but were cheered up by the fact that he was also in deep debt to a group of goblins, "they'll get their money back, one way or another," George told you with a shrug.

You were grateful to him for walking with you, but of course he wouldn't hear a word of it, he just jokingly bowed to you as you walked towards the castle gates and said, "it was my pleasure, milady." 

You knew George could tell there was more going on than you had let on, but he didn't bring anything up and instead just continued to be his warm and comforting self, and a presence you could always rely on. You were so thankful for him in that moment that you didn't even threaten to jinx him when he shoved a handful of snow into your face and ran away laughing.