CHAPTER 3: Afraid and Overcome

Lists of things suggested by sleep experts. The rest are a mix of personal opinions. Please bear in mind that none are guaranteed to work:

1) Don't let yourself become too sleep-deprived.
2) Stick to a regular sleep schedule.
3) Try to reduce stress and anxiety in your life.
4) Try to vigorously flutter your eyelids or move your eyes, as this tends to be an area of the body that's less affected by paralysis.
5) Focus on wiggling just one finger or a toe.
6)Don't take recreational drugs or drink alcohol in the evening.
7) Don't sleep on your back.
8) Stay calm.
9) Tell yourself that you're in control. You can order the experience to stop.
10) If you feel a weight on your chest, imagine there's something friendly causing it.
11) Film yourself sleeping so you can see there was nothing in the room.
12) Don't think about what it could be. Your imagination will probably make up something scary in the darkness.
13) Organize your bedroom in a way that makes you feel safe and secure.
14) Don't hang dressing gowns, coats, or hats in places that make them look like figures in the dark.
15) Sleep with a night light, music, or radio on.
16) Remind yourself that nothing bad will happen.
17) Imagine your body rolling from side to side in your mind and count each roll. Focus on this and try to grow the capacity for movement from there.
18) Count numbers to focus your mind on something else.
19) Don't sleep with a high pillow.
20) Keep your eyes shut and try to clear your mind.
21) Squeeze your eyes tightly shut if you can control the muscles.
22) Keep well hydrated – drink water before going to bed.
23) Talk about it to family or friends – they may have experienced it too.
24) If you have it once, get out of bed for a while to reset the brain.
25) Many people say prayer helps. Some also say that calling on their religious beliefs and commanding what they see to leave helps them.
26) Check if any sleeping pills or herbal remedies you're taking are causing it.
27) Use sleep paralysis to lucid dream by relaxing and going with the experience instead of fighting it.

Once the episode has passed, tell yourself that you overcame it, are not afraid and will always overcome it

To Be Continued..........