Chapter 31

Dream's POV:

She holds the quivering dagger in my hand, frozen in place.

She promised.

Sam switches his attention from her and onto me as more guards start to flood the scene. They crowd me, almost completely obscuring my view of y/n.

She can't do it. I know it. She won't be able to. I was an idiot to ever think she'd be capable of killing me.

"Y/n!" I scream, acid ripping through my throat. She shakes her head ever so slightly, her body shuddering and her hands trembling. "You promised..." I catch a glimpse of her glassy eyes.

"And you promised you wouldn't leave me..." I hear her voice, not sure if it's actually her or just in my head. I see the dagger slip from her hands, falling onto the ground with a soft thud, embedding itself into the dirt.

"Please!" I shout, desperation overcoming me. I scream over and over for her to pick it up again. I feel my hands get bound tightly behind my back. One of the guards tries to gag me. I protest but to no avail. I try to scream for y/n, but all that comes out are muffled sounds.

I've never felt so helpless.

So hopeless.

Powerless.

Y/n's POV:

Nothing feels real.

I stand there, my feet glued to the forest floor. The dagger unmoving in the dirt below me. Dream thrashing in their grasps, gagged and bound. Helpless. I hear a distant explosion, making me turn my head for a split second. Dark smoke clouds start to drift up in the sky from where the explosion came from. Seems to be coming from the direction of Las Nevadas. I quickly dismiss it, turning my attention back to my current problem.

Any second now they'll take him away. I can hear his muffled, frantic shouts. He wants me to kill him. But I can't.

Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I flinch, the sudden touch nearly making me jump out of my skin.

I turn, already knowing who it is.

"Wilbur?"

"Y/n," he greets, a far too familiar grin on his face as wipes ash off his forehead.

I furrow my eyebrows, "where've you been?" I ask.

"Just had to take care of some..." he pauses, brushing off the grime from his coat. "Old rivalries."

I decide not to question it anymore as I explain to Wilbur what's happening.

"Shit," he curses under his breath as I finish my rushed explanation. I glance in Dream's direction, they're starting to drag him away.

"Wil, what the hell do we-" I turn back towards Wilbur, stopping mid-sentence as I see him unslinging his bow and arrow. "There's like twenty guards, you can't kill all of them!" I scoff in disbelief.

"I'm not trying to kill the guards, y/n," his voice is steady and calm, a tone one would use when trying not to upset a wild animal.

Realization hits me all at once as I see him loading the bow and arrow.

My hand instantly shoots for his arm, stopping him. "Wil, you can't." My voice comes out shakier than intended.

"Y/n, it's what's he wants. If we can't save him now then this is what we have to do-" he starts.

"Wil, no," I cling onto his arm, desperately trying to pull it away from his weapon. "Please you can't, you can't kill him." I don't even realize my cheeks wet with tears.

Wilbur tries to shake me off without hurting me. "I know, but they're going to take him back there. When they do he won't be getting out, ever. He wants this. He rather be dead than live in that prison forever. You can hardly even call that living."

"It doesn't matter," I repeat over and over, almost as if convincing myself. "Please, Wilbur, don't do this." I sob, the words barely escaping my trembling lips.

"You're being selfish, y/n." His tone softens. "We're running out of time." I look over and he's right. They're dragging him out, Dream's head hangs low, not even looking in our direction anymore.

"I don't- I can't, Wilbur. We have to save him. There's so much left, so much we haven't seen, so much we haven't said, I can't lose him now. Not after I just got him back. Please, please, I need him." Tears stream down my face, my grasp on Wilbur loosening.

"We can't win every battle, y/n." Wilbur sighs. "This one can't be won. We've lost..."

Silence starts to grow between us, only to be broken by a familiar voice.

"Oh, c'mon, Wilbur. Giving up already?" We both turn, recognizing who it is.

Sapnap stands there, sword in hand. My eyes widen as I see Ranboo and Technoblade beside him.

"Sapnap?" I wipe the stray tears from my face. "What's going on?"

"I saw what was happening and I can't let them take my him away again. Long story short, we're here to help Dream. He might deserve prison for everything he's done, but this is too far." Sapnap pauses. "I have to do this... for George."

"TechnoBlade?" I give him a wary look.

"I got Dream's note for help a while back. This is a favor, nothing more. I owed him and I don't like to break my promises. After this, everything will go back to how it was." Techno grumbles, giving me a side-eye. "So don't get too comfortable."

I nod, just glad he won't be the one holding us at sword-point this time.

"Ranboo?" I look up at him.

"I owe you one, y/n. I'll help you, just like exile times." Exile times... a wave of shock hits me. That seems so long ago. I give him a small smile of gratitude.

"Wil?" I turn towards him.

"I'm in if you are." He shrugs, a half-grin plastered across his face.

"We have to hurry," Techno motions to a barely visible Dream behind us. "We can't let them get to the prison."

I pick up the dagger from the dirt, everyone else readying their weapons. I grit my teeth as I look in Dream's direction, "there are about twenty guards..."

"Five to twenty," Sapnap flips the sword in his hand, a slight smirk on his face. "I like those odds."

A/n: Sapnap's kinda... 😫 anyways new chapterrrrr. The ending of this story IS sadly getting near, but planning a lot of new things! Make sure to check out me and my friend's DNF fanfic called "dirty floors" it updates every Wednesday :)) gn!