2. Face to Face

"What do you mean you don't know where she is?" Seb said incredulously, shocked at the bombshell Joel had just dropped.  "You have to know where she is.  She's your sister!"

Joel gave a snort of derision.

"She's Sienna's sister too," he snapped. "At least I was there for eleven of the last sixteen years! Where was she? Living a life of luxury!"

"Sienna would have been there if she'd have known where to find you."  Seb was beginning to raise his voice.  He'd seen first hand how much Sienna had wanted to find her dad and her siblings.  Now he was faced with having to tell her that her dad was dead, her sister missing, and that for some reason her brother believed that she didn't give a shit about them. 

"Save the bullshit Seb.  When Dad died Grandad got in touch with Sienna and she told him where to go.  I dare say once you hit the big time and became rich and famous the pair of you didn't want the embarrassment of a poor family."

Seb grabbed Joel by the shirt, his anger getting the better of him. 

"That's bullshit.  It's an insult Joel.  I'm not like that. Sienna's not like that.  There's nothing more important than family.  Now I don't know what your Grandad told you, but I can assure he never got in touch with Sienna.  Losing you and Alyssa broke her.    She really thought that when Aly turned eighteen you'd both be back in touch.   You know, once Monica had no legal right to you. She waited and waited.  We even had a private detective looking for you!"

Joel shoved Seb backwards and he stomped over towards the door. As he reached it he turned around and glared at Seb.  "Maybe you did, maybe you didn't, it's not important anymore.  I'm here to do my job, not to have a family reunion."

"Please Joel.  Just see her. I'm sure you can get to the bottom of it all.  Is your Grandad still alive?  Christ, that sounds an awful thing to ask.  I'm sorry, it's just been so long."

"He's still alive yes, he was eighty four a few weeks ago."

"I suggest you ask him why he's been lying to you."   Seb was trying so hard to control his anger.  Anger would get him nowhere.   He had to stay calm if he had any chance of persuading Joel to see Sienna. 

"Ask him what exactly?" Joel demanded. "He already told us, Sienna didn't want to know. He had no reason to lie!"

Seb sighed. This was going nowhere. Why wouldn't Joel even consider that what he'd thought to be the truth was nothing but a pack of lies?

"Joel, please just talk to her," he pleaded. "Listen to what she has to say. Just give her a chance to defend herself before you condemn her. She deserves that Joel. You owe her that.  If it wasn't for her calling your dad..."

"You're really going there? Jesus Christ Seb, I know she saved us, but she also abandoned us.  You really expect me to believe that someone with your resources couldn't find us?"

"Believe it or not, it's the truth!"

Joel sank down onto the nearest chair and put his head in his hands. He felt torn. He wanted nothing more than to see Sienna. He would also give anything to see Alyssa again too. He missed his little sister more than anything. She hadn't been just his sister. She'd been his best friend and his confidante. Since she'd disappeared out of his life he'd felt incomplete. 

Maybe if he spoke to Sienna he'd get at least one sister back, but could he trust her? She'd deeply hurt him, and Alyssa with her rejection.  But  had she really rejected them?

His head felt messed up. He didn't know what was true anymore. Bob Harper, his grandfather, had told them that Sienna didn't want anything to do with them, but had that really been the truth? He was beginning to doubt everything. He just didn't know why his grandfather would lie about it.