Chapter 1

AETHER'S POV

Paimon was an incredible devourer of all kinds of food. Tell her to eat something and she'd gladly chew it in front of your family, friends, and even your worst enemy. The single-celled pack of emergency food hovered right beside me, watching Xiangling fry up some scrumptious-looking recipe she had just conjured up this morning.

Free from commissions and the usual hilichurl camp, I took to enjoying my time in Liyue and seeing all kinds of people come and go.

Liyue was all kinds of splendor, reveling in the sights didn't get old. It felt like everyday was new and full of relentless vigor. 

There was always something changing and no form of repetition went without a little diversity. Being in this world was never really my plan. I had formed a consensus after meeting Paimon and going through hard challenges in the land of Teyvat. 

I had to save my sister. We had to go home. After fighting it out with one of my supposedly evil sister's underlings, they'd vanished into a mysterious portal that enigmatically did not let me in. 

Dainsleif, a brooding and cryptic man who suffered from the curse of immortality jetted past the purple and black space that envisioned a new dimension. I was left alone in that dark pit with Paimon trying to fuel my hopes once again from that darkness. 

I would find Lumine again but I had a bad feeling I wasn't going to meet her again anytime soon. If there's another Abyss Herald right near me, then there would be no holding back. 

Even with my problems, I still had worries like other people. When to sleep, when to move. 

And of course, when to eat.

Despite my constant teasing towards Paimon, I grew fond of her antics and got comfortable enough to playfully bully her from time to time. While she didn't smile at my actions, she was more than willing to face my comical wrath. We were practically inseparable by the thread of fate at this point.

As Xiangling flipped over the buns and Guoba lit the fire with all his might, a big 'wuzza' erupted over Wanmin Restaurant, the delectable smell wafted all over the streets. The children ceased from their misadventures and even Xiangling's father almost messed up on his side of the kitchen. The smell was just that prominent.

"I hope you're all famished because this will really fill up your stomachs!" She hurled out a spoon in the air, little drops of honey flowed downwards as a result. The men inside the restaurant raised their fists merrily in the air as a response.

"Aether, what will you be doing after this?" I had forgotten Xiangling waved her hand in front of my face the whole time. I was already visually munching on her prized honey bun coated with other exclusive condiments. Was it salt she'd traded with the woman from Qingce? Did she get the buns from a golden tree? 

As I touched the bun, the more its scent exploded into my nostrils. It wasn't too hot in my grasp and the deeper I pressed, the bigger its platinum delight rushed out. Sheesh.

Sweet ecstasy.

"Me and Paimon were planning to visit Mt. Aocang to gather chunks, we're running pretty low with ores at the moment..."

"Paimon will not act like a shield for you ever again! That geovishap almost flattened Paimon like a pancake!" Her third-person manner of speaking was adorable. Paimon says that but she hadn't hesitated to stick by me for the remainder of this arduous yet fascinating journey. 

When I had been on the verge of death against the Electro Archon, she didn't think about running away or leaving me to ruin. From that point on, I made it a constant reminder to always take care of her during my stay and give her all kinds of food depending on what I'd learn.