Part 14: A Flicker of Light

Start from the beginning

Anna: "I know it's hard for you to forget her. I really do. But even though it may be easier said than done, you need to move on"

I put a hand onto Anna's and kissed the palm of her hand.

"What if she finds us?"

Anna: "I doubt she'll find us. We're in the middle of nowhere"

I felt the fear in my body begin to disappear.

Anna: "Look at what we've made, Hans"

Anna moved her body towards the house and smiled.

Anna: "Look at what we've made. Look at what we've built. We've built a home and made a family, Hans"

When Anna finished speaking the back door opened again. Jürgen closed the door behind him and ran towards us.

Jürgen: "Mommy!"

Jürgen ran to Anna and hugged her legs.

Jürgen: "What are we having for dinner? Eli and Sarah want to know"

Anna smiled, took Jürgen's right hand and walked with him towards the house.

Anna: "I don't know yet. Let's see what we have"

Jürgen: "I hope we have something good"

Anna: "What about frog legs? You love those"

Jürgen turned his head and gagged.

Jürgen: "Ewwww! No I don't like frog legs!"

Anna laughed and pulled Jürgen into the house. I smiled lightly. Before I moved and went inside a thought crossed my mind. The thought frightened me but I shook my head and walked towards the house. I entered the home and saw Anna begin to cook while Elias, Sarah, and Jürgen played in the living area.

I walked to Anna and picked up a knife. I helped her chop carrots and put them on the side.

Anna: "Feeling better?"

I nodded and put the knife away.

Anna: "I love you"

Anna moved her head and kissed my left cheek. She went back to cooking and I walked away to the window near the back door.

"I love you too"

[Fourteen Years Later]

*Inhale*

.

.

.

.

*Exhale*

.

.

.

.

'Breathe'

.

.

.

.

*Draw*

.

.

.

.

'Line up the shot'

.

.

.

.

'Enjoy the quiet before the kill'

.

.