Prologue

“You’re so slow!” A young girl laughed. Poofy pink hair framed her creamy skin complexion, emphasizing her baby blue eyes. Her raggedy cream-colored sleeveless shirt went well with her skin tone as well as the white skirt. The skirt was dirty from sleeping on the ground.

“Oh just be quiet!” An irritated voice came from behind her. It seemed to be a distance away. In a matter of seconds, a dark brown haired boy came running up to the young girl. Chocolate brown eyes were suddenly hidden behind tan eyelids as the boy bent over, his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. The dark blue shirt and brown shorts he wore were ripped and seemed to need replacement.

Once he caught his breath, he looked up at the girl, an eyebrow raised in irritation.

“Thanks for leaving me behind,” He said with pure sarcasm as he straightened himself out.

“Oh please,” The girl waved it off. “I only ran off because I had to.”

“You got distracted again! What do you think she’ll say this time? ‘It’s fine’? She’s going to be angry.”

“We’ll be fine!” She smiled. “We’ve always been fine! No difference this time!” And with that, she went running ahead once again.

“Hey! Wait up ya little runt!” An exasperated and annoyed boy ran after her.