Chapter 13

"This guy doesn't give up, does he?"

Nichole and Rosalie had gone straight home after the altercation with Alex.

"Remind me why I can't snap his neck," Emmett growled.

"Because we don't need suspicious eyes cast upon us." Because this wasn't the first time that something with Alex had happened, Carlisle had called for a family meeting. Something had to be done about Alex, that much was clear, the only question was, what? Everyone had different ideas on what that something should be, from killing him and burning his body beyond recognition (Emmett), to scaring him enough that he moved out of state (Jasper).

"Maybe if you got yourself a boyfriend, he would back off," Alice suggested, causing Nichole to raise an eyebrow. "Considering that the only guys interested in me tend to be complete perverts, I think that I'll take a pass on that."

"Well...not everyone. There's Jacob."

"Alice, not you too!" Nichole groaned. "It's bad enough that Seth tried to convince me that Jacob likes me, which he does not, by the way."

"But-"

"We'll just have to think of something else," Nichole stated firmly. "Jacob doesn't have feelings for me and that's that."

The next day at school was almost as bad as the previous night had been, not because of Alex, but because Nichole's science teacher had decided to assign a year-long project.

"I'm never going to be able to get this done," Nichole complained to Bella at lunch. "It's physically impossible."

"I'll help you as much as I can," Bella assured her, trying to console the stressed-out girl as much as she could. "You know, my friend Jacob is really good at science, so he could help you too. You remember him, don't you? You guys met at the beach."

Nichole completely missed the subtle glance that Bella had sent in Alice's direction. "I don't know Bella, I wouldn't want him to feel put out or anything, you know?"

"He won't feel put out, trust me."

"Bella-"

"Oh come on, you want to pass this class, don't you? Isn't this project like, most of your grade?"

Nichole had to admit that Bella was right, mainly because she didn't have a choice, and she was also desperate.

"Look, just let me talk to him, he'll be on board with it."

"Alright." Nichole relented with a sigh, and Bella grinned, gently patting Nichole on the shoulder. "It's going to go great, trust me."

That weekend, Bella called Nichole. "Jacob agreed to it, I guess that he has this work shed or something that he thinks would be a great place for you guys to work on the project."

"Oh." Nichole nibbled at her lip. "Um...is it on the reservation?" She asked nervously.

"I think so, is that going to be a problem?"

"Oh no, not at all." Except for the fact that Paul wanted her dead.

"Great, I hope you don't mind, but I gave Jacob your number, and he actually seems pretty excited about doing this. "You know, you actually have your sister to thank for this."

"My sister? You don't say..." Nichole immediately knew that Bella was talking about Alice, she should have known that Alice would have some part to play in this. "Look, I have to go, but thanks for helping Bella, I really appreciate it."

Nichole snapped her phone shut before making her way into Alice's room. "Okay, you have seriously got to stop playing matchmaker here, Alice."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Alice replied innocently, and Nichole rolled her eyes. "Nice try Alice, but Bella told me that this whole thing about asking Jacob to help me with this science project."

Alice sighed softly. "Is it so bad that I want my sister to be with someone who makes her happy? I mean, you and Edward are the only ones in this family that don't have a significant other."

"Alice, have you completely forgotten about the fact that Paul Lahote wants to kill me?"

"But it isn't Paul that you're attracted to, it's Jacob. And besides, Jacob isn't a werewolf...not yet, anyway."

"And what the hell is that supposed to mean, exactly?"

Alice hesitated for a moment. "Well, there's no telling if he'll eventually turn into a werewolf or not."

"Great, so you're saying that while he doesn't hate my guts right now, he eventually might."

"Nichole, just go and see how it turns out. Technically, Sam can't keep you off of the reservation because you're a human and not a vampire."

"Fine, I'll go, but you aren't dressing me up to try and impress him."

Alice's face visibly fell. "But-"

"Alice, I'm hanging out with him so that I can get this project done, not so that I can show up in some outfit that's going to give him a boner."

"Such a shame." Alice mused. "I had the perfect outfit in mind too-"

"Nichole isn't going to be having sex with a damned werewolf!" Emmett shouted from downstairs.

"He's not a werewolf yet!" Alice shouted back. "And quit being such an eavesdropper!"

Nichole groaned, flopping down on the bed and burying her face in Alice's pillow. "Great, now the entire family knows about this."

"If you wish to get technical, we've known for a while," Edward called out from somewhere. "Honestly Nichole, you should really try and control your thoughts about Jacob, because I have little desire to know how much you crave for him to bed you."

"EDWARD!"

"You're the one having these thoughts, not me!"

"You could stop reading my mind!"

"You know that's something I can't control!"

Alice was trying to keep herself from laughing at the banter. "You want Jacob to have sex with you?"

"What?! No! I don't know!" Nichole was glad that the pillow was hiding her face because she was sure that it was a bright red by now. "You guys are impossible." She mumbled, and Alice giggled as she rubbed her sister's back. "And yet, you still love us. However, if I were you, I would avoid Carlisle and Esme, because you're going to be getting 'the talk' sometime in the next couple of days."

"Wonderful." Nichole sighed. "Things just keep on getting better and better, don't they? It's not like I need the talk about the birds and the bees. Last year I walked in on Rosalie and Emmett...you know, and I'm pretty sure that I have all of the information that I need after witnessing that, and getting that image permanently scarred into my brain."

"I already apologized!" Emmett whined.

"And that's great and all, but it doesn't make me forget the fact that you have a bubble butt!"

"Nichole, could you come down to the study for a moment?" Carlisle called out.

"Oh great." Nichole groaned as she sat up. This wasn't going to be awkward at all, was it?