Chapter 1: Family Curse

Disclaimer: Twisted Wonderland belongs to Aniplex and Disney. Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I do however own the character Minako Nezumi, the rest of her family and the illustrations featured in this fanfic.

DO NOT REPOST, EDIT, OR SELL MY ART!

Notes:

The patronus warding overblots idea came from @chu1luc. Thank you so much for giving me permission to use this idea

This work was inspired by writingterror's Yuu and the Power of Magic, HummingSparrow's Smile Now, Dear. It's Sunrise, HarvestMoonBeam's Harry Potter Crossover Ideas, and likely many more.

No, I do not condone Rowling's actions or beliefs. I love HP for its story and characters just not the author. That means Terfs, racists, transphobes, ableists, and homophobes are not welcome here.

I acknowledge that some of Rowling's prejudices have seeped into the HP series and if I ever come across these in the story I can change them accordingly because this is fanfiction and I can change anything.

This story is set years after the Second Wizarding War in the HP universe.

While I'm not sure if the theory on Muggle-Borns born 1985–1998 not getting their Hogwarts letters is true, I'm going to choose to believe that the Muggle-Born records were restored after the war otherwise Minako's sister attending Hogwarts wouldn't work.

This story will contain some elements of the Twisted Wonderland manga.

Disney does not exist in Minako's world. I am aware that things like computer animation and Dreamworks would probably not exist or not be the same, but I have chosen to ignore that fact.

When you see an asterisk (*), there will information about a topic that appears within the story and will be explained in the author's notes at the end of the chapter.

My Tumblr: tickledpink31.tumblr.com
My Instagram: instagram.com/tickled_pink31/
My Ao3: archiveofourown.org/users/TickledPink_31/pseuds/TickledPink_31

◐ ━━━━━ ºoº Minako ºoº ━━━━━ ◑

Minako Nezumi often wondered what kind of sadistic mage had decided to lay a curse on her ancestor. She had no clue what her ancestor did to warrant a curse, but she did know that the rest of the family did not deserve to suffer with the victim. That was always the most brainless part of a family curse.

I mean really, nobody else deserved to get hurt, especially children who had yet to exist, she thought.

A blood curse has its way of rearing its ugly head within at least one magical child every other generation. Seemingly healthy individuals give in to it once they reach a certain age. However, the Nezumi family hasn't produced a single magical child in a long time. For decades, they were just a normal Muggle family with no blood curse to worry about.

There was no mention of the curse until four Muggle-Born siblings appeared in the family.

Minako grew up athletic and was brought up in a loving environment. It wasn't until the later half of her first year at Hogwarts did her problems arise. That time was riddled with moments of her accidental magic acting up whenever she was in a bad mood, moments that left her feeling sick and frail. It was embarrassing that her accidental magic was not under control yet as a witch of her age, so she didn't utter a single word about it to anyone.

The following summer after she turned twelve was when her condition went from bad to worse.

Her parents' untimely deaths gave her night terrors that triggered the outburst of magic. Her older sibling, Alexis, had described how a dementor dripping with an inky black ooze was stalking over her as she slept and wailed. Ate Flor,* their sister and oldest sibling, had to chase it out with her patronus. Kuya Kento,* the second-born sibling and older brother, insisted that it was no dementor for it had no business to go all the way to London and that it didn't even try to take her soul.

 Kuya Kento,* the second-born sibling and older brother, insisted that it was no dementor for it had no business to go all the way to London and that it didn't even try to take her soul

"It was just standing there... menacingly!" Kento made an attempt to get her to laugh during a dark time. It was a poorly made joke, but Minako still gave him a small chuckle.

As it turns out, Kento was right that it wasn't a dementor at all. The Healers at St. Mungo's Hospital deduced that it was something Minako had created unconsciously. Her blood was stained with splotches of ink-like ooze when it was drawn with a needle, the same kind that the false dementor was covered in. A newly discovered blood malediction was not only making her magic erratic whenever she was incredibly upset but was slowly killing her too.

The Healers had rushed to find as many methods as they could to prolong her life. Minako was encouraged to learn light spells like the patronus charm, potions were shoved down her throat to remedy her, and she was to make sure that strayed away from feeling negative emotions. The latter of those three solutions proved to be an impossible task, for you see, no one one can avoid bad days.

She's had several scares in her short life all because she couldn't help but feel sad, angry, or scared. Even a simple nightmare has landed her in a hospital bed a couple of times. Every moment of her life was dangerous to tread. Time and time again, she's been scolded and told that she would have to be very lucky if she managed to live to see her thirtieth birthday.

If she could go back to when this curse nonsense all started, she would do everything in her power to stop it from burdening her bloodline.

◐ ━━━━━ ºoº ━━━━━ ◑

*Ate: This is the Tagolog honorific used to refer to your older sister which is sometimes preceded with your sister's name. It is also used for older female cousins or even older female friends.

*Kuya: the older brother equivalent of Ate.

Minako uses "Ate" to refer to her sister Flor and "Kuya" for her brother Kento. Her older sibling, Alexis, is genderfluid and mostly appears as non-binary, so they don't care too much about honorifics. Nevertheless, Minako still uses Ate on their girl days and Kuya on their boy days. Of course there's also a gender-neutral term, "Kapatid," but it doesn't sound right to me when used as an honorific.

Some Examples of using sibling honorifics: Ate Clara (Big sister Clara), Kuya Joseph (big brother Joseph).

Although Minako was born and raised in England, she is still half-Filipino and half-Japanese, therefore she was taught to use the proper honourifics. She's more familiar with Tagalog honorifics (and so am I because I'm Filipina and not Japanese).