Chapter 72: "Out of Time."

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, I just- I know you, there's no way that I don't..." you said as you stopped in front of the man.

"I'm sorry- you have the wrong person." The man whispered, a crack in his voice made him clear his throat again. Tears at the brims of his eyes. He walked away.

You watched as he walked away, and as he turned the corner he was gone.

———
Loki's POV.

He stopped in an alleyway just up ahead. His breathing was hitched and his mind was racing. As he began to breathe rapidly, Stephen Strange peered from the corner. Loki had his back to the wall and slowly slid down it while he slid his hands through his hair.

"I'm sorry it has to be this way." Strange said with sympathy. Loki looked up from his lap and wiped the tears away.

"I'll never truly understand why." Loki said softly. Trying to hide his misery.

"We've seen it Loki." Strange began again.

"In every universe, the more she knows about us, about her past-" Strange stopped and sighed as this was never how it was supposed to happen.

"She will never make it." He finished. Loki looked up, his tears now dry but his heart stung.

"This was never supposed to happen." Loki harshly stated. Strange nodded in agreement.

"But- she's safer this way." Strange then helped Loki up and traveled through the portal to the Tower once more. As they stood in the living room, Loki quietly retreated to his room.

Loud thuds came from the hallway and Tony, Natasha, Thor and Wanda walked in.

"You saw her again didn't you?" Wanda grew saddened.

Loki didn't respond. He only gave a nod.

"How is she?" Tony asked.

"The same as she always has been." Loki responded with no emotion. He felt responsible for this.

Tony, Natasha and Wanda nodded and then looked to one another. They nodded to each other and walked out of his room. Leaving Thor and Loki.

"It's okay to mourn brother." Thor reassured.

Loki turned to him and shook his head, not looking at his brother but at the floor.

"If I mourn. That justifies the situation." He claims. Thor closes the door to Lokis bedroom and sighs.

"I just don't- I don't know what I'm supposed to do without her." Loki said quietly. Thor approached his brother slowly and sat on his bed next to him.

"You never will." Thor stated. Loki turned to meet his brothers gaze in confusion.

"You have to accept that, her part of you, is gone." Thor rubbed Loki's shoulder before standing up and walking to the door. He turned around as he reached it.

"It will never be the same without her, but we have to try. Or we too will never be the same." Thor nodded and with a small sympathetic smile he left Loki to himself and his thoughts.

Loki stood in deep thought before vanishing.

He teleported to Times Square once more.