Expression Notes (#1)

Expression Notes
表現ノート(ひようげんノート)

おはよう / ありがとうOhayoo is used between friends and family members, while ohayoo gozaimasu is used between less intimate acquaintances, similar to arigatoo and arigatoo gozaimasu. The rule of thumb is: if you are on a first-name basis with someone, go for the shorter versions. If you would address someone as Mr. Or Ms., use the longer versions.
Ohayoo is the greeting used before noon, but some people use it in casual settings in the afternoon or even at night when they see their classmates or co-workers for the first time that day.

をようなら► There are several good-bye expressions in Japanese, the choice among which depends on the degree of separation. Sayoonara indicates that the speaker does not except to see the person spoken to before she "turns a page in her life"; not until a new day arrives, or until fate brings the two together again. It sounds dramatic and ritualistic, and its daily use is largely restricted to school children taking leave of their teachers.

じゃあ、また。 Jaa, mata.
(between friends, excepting to see each other again fairly soon)

しつれいします。 Shitsureeshimasu.
(taking leave from a professor's office, for example)

すみませんSumimasen means (1) "Excuse me," to get another person's attention, (2) "I'm sorry," to apologize for the trouble you have caused, or (3) "Thank you," to show appreciation for what someone has done for you.

いいえIie is primarily "No," a negative reply to a question. In the dialogue, it is used to express the English phrase "Don't mention it," or "You're welcome," with which you point out that the one is not required to feel obliged for what you have done for them.

いってらっしゃい / いって きます / ただいま / おかえりなさいItte kimasu and itterashai is a common exchange used at home when a family member leaves. The person who leaves says itte kimasu, which literally means "I will go and come back." And the family members respond with itterasshai, which means "Please go and come back."
Tadaima and okaeri are used when a person comes home. The person who arrives home says tadaima (I am home right now) to the family members, and they respond with okaerinasai (Welcome home.)