Chapter 6: The Inter-House Quidditch Cup

Start from the beginning

"Cedric, what were those things?" You asked him and he looked up at you, his eyes wide, "they're Dementors. The guards of Azkaban."

"Azkaban? But what are they doing here?"

"I don't know, but they're not supposed to come near the Hogwarts grounds," he said gravely.

You and Cedric both leaned down and put Harry's arms over each of your shoulders and lifted him up from the ground as the other two teams made their way over to you.

"Congratulations on your win, by the way," you told him, trying to lighten the mood as you half-carried, half-dragged Harry towards the approaching teachers.

He smiled sadly, "thanks, I just wish it wasn't at Harry's expense."

---

In the Hospital Wing, you all hovered around the bed anxiously waiting for Harry to wake up. "He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" Ron pointed out nervously.

Fred scoffed at him, "peaky? What'd you expect him to look like? He fell over a hundred feet!"

"Yeah, c'mon, Ron. We'll walk you off the Astronomy Tower and see how you come out looking," George mocked his younger brother.

"Probably a right sight better than he normally does," Harry said quietly as he finally stirred from his unconscious state, you sprung up out of your chair to look at the boy. "Harry!" Hermione immediately leaned over him, "how are you feeling?"

"Brilliant," he replied dryly. 

"Gave us a right good scare there, mate," George told him earnestly as he sat down in the chair next to the bed.

"What happened?" Harry asked, groaning as he pulled himself into a seated position and pushed his glasses onto his face.

"You fell off your broom," Ron answered him. 

"Really?" Harry scoffed, "I meant the match. Who won?"

You cleared your throat as everyone shared awkward looks and you moved closer to him. You reached his side and squeezed his arm gently, "um...no one blames you, Harry. The Dementors aren't meant to come inside the grounds. Dumbledore was furious. As soon as he saved you, he sent them straight off."

Harry just looked at you blankly, not really registering what you were telling him, and then Ron spoke up, "there's something else you should know too, Harry," Ron fidgeted nervously with the bundle in his arms and you winced, knowing exactly what he was about to tell his friend, "when you fell, your broom...well it sort of blew into the Whomping Willow, and well..." he held up the splintered remains of Harry's Nimbus 2000 which the twins had collected from near the tree and wrapped it in a Gryffindor banner.

You watched Harry's face fall and signalled to the twins that you should give Harry some space, so you and the twins dragged Neville and Seamus out of the room, leaving Ron and Hermione to comfort Harry.

You and the twins later decided to cheer him up by passing the mantle of the Marauder's Map, which you knew by heart at this stage, to Harry. The twins had caught him trying to sneak to Hogsmeade in his Invisibility Cloak one snowy morning in December, and took the opportunity to enact your previously agreed arrangement of showing him the Map. You could only hope that he wouldn't get into any trouble while using it.

---

Following your successful win against Ravenclaw a number of months later, the morale of your team had risen again. Cedric had insisted on a rematch, feeling terrible about catching the Snitch while Harry was being attacked, but your team agreed, by a majority rules vote and much to the irritation of the twins who now held a grudge against Cedric, to accept the defeat and look ahead to the next game instead.