Chapter 08 - Power is freedom. Power is choices.

Power is freedom. Power is choices.

The following evening Ariana found herself seated in a boat on the way to the Vauxhall Ball. Simon was seating next to her and Benedict and Anthony were just behind. Eloise and Lady Bridgerton shared a boat with Colin just in front of them.

"I must admit," said the blond miss, "I am rather excited for tonight's ball. I heard that the scenery is quite breathtaking."

"It is," affirmed the Duke. "Did you think about who you would like to dance with tonight?"

"I did not." She admitted guiltily.

"Why I am not surprised? Well, Lord Wetherby has asked me about you. He is a fine man should you wish to meet him, I will introduce you."

Ariana scrunched her face at the thought.

"Why would Lord Wetherby be in search of a wife?"

She missed the warning glance of Benedict. She had met Lord Wetherby at the Grandville soirée and Benedict had told her about his relation with the painter. While Ariana truly believe that one should be allowed to love whoever they wished, she did not understand why the Lord might be in search of a wife when his interests could not be further away.

"Why would he not?"

At this point Benedict chose to elbow her directly, clearing his throat loudly, while offering an innocent smile to the inquisitive Duke. She realised her mistake and with an uncomfortable laugh tried to fix it.

"Of course, he would! I would like to meet him, Simon."

Anthony and the Duke shared a look at the strange interaction but chose not to push it further.

Upon descending from the boat, Ariana linked her arm with Simon and they followed the Bridgerton. Before she could take a turn of the place, Anthony appeared in front of the duet.

"Miss Primrose, might I have the honour of the first dance?"

Ariana looked up at Simon with a teasing smile.

"What do you say, your Grace, does Lord Bridgerton answer to the standards you uphold regarding potential suitors?"

Simon pretended to think about it for a moment, eyeing the annoyed look of the Viscount at the teasing.

"I am not sure Miss Primrose, I believe potential suitors should not have been seen playing "it" at a society picnic." Causing a huff from Anthony. "But since you were the reason the Viscount was running around in the first place, I find it only fair that you honour him with a dance."

Ariana let out a giggle at that and took Anthony's hand for him to lead her to the dance floor.

"Was the teasing necessary?" He asked as the music started and the fell into steps.

"Teasing? I would never string you along in such sorts, my Lord."

Anthony only shook his head with a smile and focused on the dance. Their gaze locked and suddenly the ball around them disappeared. It was only the two of them, hands in hands, swinging to the music. Ariana felt herself get lost in the brown irises of the Viscount while the only thing he could think about was the woman in his arm.

Too soon, the music ended and they were brought back to the real world. A suitor approached them quickly, asking for a dance with the miss and still in her revery Ariana did not put up a fight. Anthony left rather reluctantly to his sister and mother, dodging professionally the numerous mothers and their daughters.

Moments later Ariana found Eloise and Anthony in a heated discussion.

"Have you seen the man Anthony!? I will not dance with him."