Chapter 2:

You smiled at the elderly lady infront of you and gently handed her a large bag of books she had bought.

"Thank you for coming to Merrin's Bookstore!" You hummed. "I can't wait to hear about those books when you come back!"

She patted your hand sweetly and steadied her shaking. "Thank you, love."

She shuffled out of the bookstore, a loving grin on her face. You melted at her small shuffles.

"It's not that cute." Jasper complained. "She's just old."

"She's a cute old lady!" You slapped his chest playfully. "You be nice."

He giggled and rubbed the spot on his chest that you slapped. "Rude."

"So are you."

You chuckled at your playful bickering. A small jingle caught your attention, pulling you out of your mind and to the new people entering the store.

"Wow, it's busy today." Jasper whispered into your ear.

You rolled your eyes and turned to the girls who entered. "Hi! Welcome to Merrin's Bookstore!"

One of the girls ran to the fantasy romance shelf immediately, leaving the werewolf girl to gaze around the bookstore. She obviously wasn't used to places like Merrin's Bookstore. The look on her face proved that she didn't even read.

You stepped from behind the counter and approached her. She ran her tanned fingertips over a book table and lifted one of the paperbacks.

"Hey, do you need help finding anything?" You asked, coming up to her and laying your hand on the table.

Her head shot up, and she locked eyes with you. You stared at her, watching as her pupils grew at the sight of you. You giggled, breaking her from her trance. She looked down at the book table and sat the paperback on the stack.

"What?"

You giggled again. She stared at you with curiosity in her eyes. "I said, do you need help finding anything?"

She shook her head no. You watched the confusion drown her. It was as if she had never seen a human before, and you wondered if you had upset her.

"Are you okay?"

"Yep." She smacked her lips. "I'm great."

She still refused to meet your gaze.

You shrugged it off and, assuming she was shy like Jasper, made your way back to the front. "If you need me, just come find me. My name is (Y/N) (L/N)!"

"(Y/N).." she mumbled.

"Hm?" You turned your head in her direction. "Did you need me?"

"N-No!"

You frowned and grabbed a clipboard. "I'm gonna go do inventory." You told Jasper. He stood up.

"I can do inventory of the stockroom if you wanna do shelves."

You nodded. "Sure!"

And with that, you set off to check on the shelves. The only thing you needed to write down was Harry Potter. Figures.

"Oh, you work here, right?" A girl asked.

You nodded at her. "Yep! I'm (Y/N), nice to meet you!"

"I'm Twyla! Nice to meet you too!"

You shook her hand and followed her to another book section.

"Do you have the-" she began.

"Twyla!"

You two turned your head to the owner of the voice. The same girl from before stared at you with a twitch in her eye.

"Howleen? Are you okay?" Twyla stepped over to her.

"What are you doing? Let's leave. I don't wanna be here anymore." She growled.

You flinched. Ouch. Harsh.

Twyla cocked her head to the side. "You said we could look at this place!"

"Yeah, well..." She exhaled. She seemed tense, and you worried for her mental state. "L-Let's just leave."

"Howleen, you never answered my question." Twyla noted. "Are you okay?"

🧡🧡🧡Howleen P.O.V🧡🧡🧡

I gritted my teeth. Didn't she understand that I wanted to go??

Why is she even with that girl???

Why are you so upset with that girl?

I wiped my mind clean and focused on Twyla. She stood infront of (Y/N), blocking her from my view.

Twyla, you don't understand. I don't even understand.

(Y/N) furrowed her brows, her (E/C) eyes staring at me in worry. My heart squeezed, knocking the air from my lungs.

How does she make me have such of a violent reaction to her??

Her smooth skin pricked at the cold air, and she stepped up beside Twyla. "I can put these books on hold for you, if you'd like." She offered.

My throat closed. Her voice is so smooth. It's so rich to listen to.

I frowned. "Nevermind."

Why change your mind?? You were so ready to leave (Y/N) a few minutes ago.

Shut up.

I stomped off, going to sit on one of the chairs and burying my head in my hands.

How did she get a job here? I don't even read and she makes me want to work with her.

It's fine. I've just never seen a girl that's the epitome of my type. That's it. I've never seen a girl so perfect for me that it's messing with me.

A little bit of beauty isn't a big deal.

But she's so nice. I wonder what her words taste like.

That doesn't make sense.

Kiss her and have her break the kiss to talk. That's what her voice tastes like.

What?

If you crave more of her, then she has a good voice. If she ruins your mood altogether, her voice is bad.

Shut the fuck up. You don't know what you're talking about. You're me. You listen to ME!

Sure.

A small tap interrupted my thoughts, and I looked up at the interrupter. My throat closed again. (Y/N).

"Are you okay?" She asked.

I dropped my gaze from her and stared at the ground. Your chest is right next to my face. Idiot.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Move! I can see your bra!

Don't move! I like this angle.

You're no better than a man.

Never said I was.