Chapter 2.

Sloane

As they sprinted into the woods, the world had just become a blur of an unwavering purple from the eyes of Undead & the sky. There had been too many close calls, to the point where Sloane had to pick up the man.

'They're gaining on us!' Sloane had said.

'I-can't-' The man had responded with utter exasperation.

The frail man looked like he'd just about to collapse into a bundle of sticks, so Sloane didn't hesitate to carry the man further into the rainbow forest.

'You know, if you really wanted to carry me like a bridesmaid, you should've put a ring on it' the man said slyly.

'Ya know, if you really wanted to not have me drop you right now & let you become dinner for the Undead, you should've zipped it' Sloane replied cooly.

After a while, they'd had gotten tired & decided to rest for a bit. Not that they had the option to advance towards their target location, with hoards of the Undead swarming their surrounding vicinity. While they took their moment to catch their breath, Sloane was keenly observing their present problem.

"So.", Zani said, breaking the silence. "What's the plan?" When Zani instinctively looked at Sloane, the man had been offended. His furrowed eyebrows rather made it obvious.

"Hey, hey!" The man said, although a little too oddly. The siblings gave the man their signature Mayfire stare, arching their brow & narrowing their slits ever so slightly. "Nevermind that. As much as I hate to admit it, the little boy brought up a good though: we need a plan." The man rested his shoulder on Zani, and looked proud of himself of his speech.

As soon as the man called him a little boy, Zani stared him down. "This 'little boy' has name." Zani said. " It's Zani. And I'm not a little boy, I'm the man who volunteered to save your life. I suggest you start picking up the slack, or else we'll drop you with the Undead. Because we don't need dead weight."

Every single word that poured out of Zani's mouth exuded venom, and unsettled the man. "And I'm no dead weight! Name's Zack!" Zack, the man, started mumbling to himself as he went to check up on how Sloane was doing.

During this short exchange, Sloane was closely examining the Undead. Although she had been born blind in her right eye, she had the eye of a hawk with years of experience out in the woods. During town hall meetings like today, she'd always sneak out as a kid & get into trouble just like Mark had.

And, now, just like Zani.

Right now, a unlucky doe was being torn alive by the Undead. Its guts & splattering, however it wasn't as dramatic as it was portrayed in the the books, Sloane had observed. The Undead had tried swiping a nimble squirrel on top of the tree, but after a moment, they gave up on it as if they disregarded it's entire existence.

One last examination Sloane had made concerned was when a stick bug had played dead right under the nose of an Undead. It was just about to go for the kill, when another squirrel grabbed it's attention. The leaf-bug finished its act, and reunited with it's mate at long last.

"Curious." Sloane simply commented. "Ok, now that the bantering is off to the side, here is wha we're gonna do."

---