xii. there's a mummy on main street

(A/N: Please don't attack me for my writing.)

"You want me to go where?" Kaleb asked. He had been walking in the hallways of the Salvatore school when his headmaster approached him in a hurry, asking him to tag along to Maple Hollows.

There had been mini plagues since Dr. Saltzman got rid of the urn, plagues such as sandstorms, scorpions, and now beetles. After a talk with Dorian, Alaric figured out that the urn was trapped in a dam in South Carolina.

"Maple Hollows." Alaric replied with a smile. "It'll be fun."

The vampire shook his head. "No thanks."

"You're the one who didn't want to go home for spring break."

"That's 'cause my family's crazy, man." Kaleb replied. "It's the same thing every year. A barbecue, a game of spades, and then my uncle's throwing hands. Do you think I want to trade my family drama for yours?"

"I think you want unsupervised time to feed on humans."

"Okay, so now we get to the real. You still don't trust me."

Alaric nodded. "Right now? Not as far as I can throw you. Look, MG doesn't need any negative influences while I'm gone, and Sophia's coming, too. So come with me. All you have to do is follow my rules. They're simple. No using vampire powers... and absolutely... no using vampire powers."

Kaleb sighed. "Look, I do this, you'll get off my back?" Alaric nodded. Kaleb sighed again. "All right. Whatever. But... if we're going to some Podunk town, you know, we can't roll up in that slick-ass Salvatore bus. We got to stay low-key."

"I'm one step ahead of you."

***

"Dr. Saltzman, this van is very... white of you." Kaleb spoke once he, the twins, Hope, Sophia, Dorian, and Emma all piled in the minivan. Ric started the engine and they were off.

"It's retro." Alaric told him.

"It's a gas-guzzling atrocity on wheels." Lizzie commented.

"I brought snacks." Hope told everyone. She grabbed the snack bags from her backpack and handed them out.

"Oh, sweet. I want a bag of chips." Sophia said, putting her hand out. Hope handed her the bag. "Thanks."

Lizzie rolled her eyes at the girls. "Did you pack them before or after you two decided to FOMO your way onto our trip?"

Hope and Sophia smiled. "Like we're gonna let you guys chase monsters without us?"

Lizzie nodded. "I would've thought you wanted to spend the break canoodling with your hipster boyfriend. Or the werewolf."

Sophia sighed. "Is this all you're going to talk about?"

"Sorry for wanting to protect the outside world from my mistakes

"Sorry for wanting to protect the outside world from my mistakes. You know, there's currently an urn on a river cruise spreading plagues across America because I thought a unicorn was cute. It's called accountability. Maybe there's a bracelet for it." Hope commented.