vii. death keeps knocking on my door

SALVATORE SCHOOL

A dark-skinned girl was walking on the street, barefoot, towards the Salvatore School.

Inside the school's library sat Hope, Sophia, Rafael, and a couple of other students, scattered around the room.

Sophia sat on a chair, writing on a piece of notebook paper: a letter to her parents. Once she was finished, she carefully tear the paper out of the notebook and folded it, placing it with the others.

 Once she was finished, she carefully tear the paper out of the notebook and folded it, placing it with the others

Rafael got up after her, placing his letter into the pile. Sophia, Hope, and Rafael then left the library. Rafael turned towards Hope. "Why didn't you write a letter?"

Hope sighed. "I usually don't see the point in it.
Why write to the dead? I'd rather not think about it at all. Except lately... Death keeps knocking on my door."

The door to the school opened, and the girl that had been walking on the street a few minutes ago, entered.

Sophia turned at the noise, curious. Rafael was about to answer Hope when the younger girl got his attention, motioning towards the door. He turned towards it. "Cassie?"

The girl turned around to face Rafael, Hope, and Sophia. "Raf?"

Hope was speechless. "Cassie? Isn't that your..."

"My girlfriend." Rafael left the girls' side and embraced his now very much alive girlfriend.

      ***

Alaric yelled as he hit the necromancer with an axe.

"Was that really necessary?" The creature asked.

"I told you I need answers."

"Why would I help you? You have me in chains. This indignity will not go unpunished." The necromancer said.

"We have been at this for days. Answer my questions, or I'm gonna peel your skin off like a grape and shower you with battery acid."

The creature groaned as he pulled the axe out of his head. "A rather grotesque effort, considering it will feel like the delicate tickle of a feather."

Alaric took the axe back and pulled out a blowtorch. "All right. Let's see how this feels."

"Dr. Saltzman." Sophia and Hope approached the cell.

"Oh, there you are, lovely girls. I was wondering if you'd come visit me again. How's your friend, the one I saw you with earlier, trying to steal an illicit peek at me?" The Necromancer asked.

Hope gave him a look. "As we speak, he's having an emotional reunion with his dead girlfriend."

The Necromancer hummed, then turned to Sophia. "And you, young lady?"

Sophia folded her arms across her chest. "I'd rather not talk about my love life with someone I don't know, much less with you."

The monster nodded. "Smart girl. And the poor dear. Her spirit was clinging to him like a vine in winter. It took barely any effort. Just a little wrinkle of the nose, and poof. Young love reborn." Alaric stepped out of the cell and locked it.