oh i think that i've found myself a cheerleader

"Oh god, how am I supposed to do this?" Mister Bug clenches his hair tightly, spitting out indecipherable rambles as fast as he can while crouching on the steps of the Trocadero and watching over the new circular ying-yang Miracle Box.

"Bugaboo-" Lady Noire calls out, but he doesn't hear.

"I don't know how to take care of sixteen kwamis-"

"Misty-"

"What if I get caught? What if Na- someone accidentally discovers my not-so-little secret anymore?"

"Mister Bug!" Lady Noire shakes her partner on the shoulders, breaking him out of his trance. He tenses slightly in surprise, his heart rapidly beating in shock for a moment until he slightly calms down.

"I'm sorry for doing that, but you will do a good job! I have seen you smartly defeat tons of akumas, I have seen you overcome laundry lists of bug problems other people would have not, and I have the best, the kindest, and the most amazing person right in front of me right now!"

"I don't- My Lady-" he sputters.

"You are not alone today, and you will not be alone forever if I can help it! I will stand by your side and I will help you however you can, and I swear to every kwami there may be that I will wholeheartedly commit to my role as your co-guardian."

"But you don't have to do this-"

She wasn't done.

"Well I am, and I'm saying this as your partner and as your friend, that I love you and I know you- no, we can do this."

His eyes widen, and he swoops in for a hug right on the warm staircase. Lady Noire thinks Mister Bug is warm too, when their bodies are loosely tangled together.

Time stands still.

"I'm scared."

She tightens the knot, because that's what her partner needs.

"I'm scared, kitty. I don't want you getting hurt. It hurts to see you get crushed by akumas for me, and every time you do that I wish I could take your place."

Her head might have nuzzled closer to his neck when he said that.

"Now that you're the main guardian, all the more reason not to get hurt..."

"But I don't want it to be at your expense!"

"You'll fix everything anyway."

"How can you be so sure of that?"

"Because I trust you."

"And I love you!"

He's serious. She knows that now.

"And I love you too! So please, just let me help-"

"I love you and that's why you're not helping-"

She returns to their position earlier, with her grabbing his shoulders and placing him slightly farther from her, right where he can see her face and she can see his. She plans on making this statement clear.

"But I am! And I hate using this card but if you love me, you're letting me help! Because you, Misty, have been running yourself ragged and I don't know what I'd do when you're not there anymore because of your stubbornness!"

"..."

They pause.

"I still think you're Misty."

She knows she's won.

"You're Misty Bug. That kid said so."

"Ha-ha. Very funny."

"I'm helping you. Master Fu made me your co-guardian for a reason."

"Ugh. Fine."

"You don't have to be so down about it, we can do this."

"You would be a better choice than me for main guardian."

"No you."

"Yes you."

She frees him from her grip and holds his hands.

"We're partners for a reason. Bug and Cat team, remember?"

"Cat and Bug team, purrincess."

"You're first."

"Agree to disagree, but yes. You and me against the world?"

"As always."

To Mister Bug's surprise, Lady Noire kisses his cheeks.

Even if it was almost scalding outside in the summer heat, even if they were out in public hugging like fools, everything was perfect.

Starting now, she swears she will stick by her partner's side forever and ever and do anything to not let her Mister Bug get hurt.

Starting now, he swears he will do anything to mitigate the disaster that goes through his Lady of Destruction's way.

It was scary, a new beginning with trust and teamwork, but they will get through this with flying colors.