Chapter 1

"To the world, you may be just one person.
To one person, you may be the world." - Dr.Seuss

Britta's P.O.V

"Four down, one to go!" I screamed trying to make my voice audible in the small bakery. The bakery seemed overcrowded and the obstreperous noise from the cluster of people definitely didn't make my day.

'Vintage Creams' was the only bakery in the town of Medley, Florida which made rich and elaborate cakes known as,'gateaus'. It was a rich cake, typically containing layers of cream and fruit.

It's like it's drilled in my head. I made these cakes so much. And did a pretty good job of eating them too.

That day, the bakery was surprisingly crowded. Maybe there were many birthdays and anniversaries in a row?

Or maybe God was testing my strength and if he had hard-wired me with the will to go on. I stopped my work and looked around the small bakery. People chattering, Mrs.Green and Mrs.Smith taking orders and the children asking for more.

"Jane! Idiot! That order is on Table 2!" I shouted out to my best friend who was fond of baking too. She mouthed an 'I am sorry' and hurried across to another table. The customers were restless and I wondered how much they could eat for dessert.

Jane, my best friend used to go with me for Arts College. We first bonded in high school, when Ms.Clare insulted Buckbeak and we both protested and argued with her.

At least buckbeak had got wings! She would land straight on her butt!

"I am going to die!" Jane shouted, as I handed her a plate of strawberry nuggets. "I am alive, but I am going to die." She wailed loudly, enough for the people to hear her. But the crowd was busy eating their desserts, and didn't even glance at her.

She began to take a nugget out of the plate, but I swatted her hand away. "You can have the leftovers, Janey, go give this to those old people over there." I pointed out to another table and she pouted, but went away somehow.

The bakery was small, approximately 17 feet 4 inches and the fragrance of cinnamon, honey, chocolate and vanilla made the bakery very inviting.

At the far corner was a glass stand which contained sugar sparkles like snow on cinnamon twists and jelly doughnuts which gleamed in their translucent icing. There was another room which was for taking anniversary and wedding orders and but obvious, for baking the cakes. The walls were blue, which typically indicated silence, but it was the opposite of it.

It was sharp 9 and I was exhausted after hours of work. I usually arrived at the bakery at 4:00 p.m as I had college during the day but since it was a Saturday, I decided to work from morning.

After half an hour, which felt like minutes, people began to leave and money started piling up. My co-helpers, Mrs.Green and Mrs.Smith grabbed their purses as they had to rush. They were old, in their mid-forties and they had children at home and husbands at home. Wait, let me correct that. A husband at home. Basically, we were four people who worked in the bakery. At first, it was only Mrs.Green and Mrs.Smith until we came. As I didn't get a lot of pocket money, I figured out getting your own money would be super amazing, and so I chose baking. Also, I needed a new car, the old, Japanese tumble down fiesta really had to be discarded.

Not that it's just a hobby. I love baking ever since I was a child and cream and sweets runs in my veins. Trust me, it's not like my parents liked baking!

They want me to have some money making job and be well-settled and rent my own home to practically get rid of me. And I wanted that too. I like cooking and baking and I can make a career out of it!

Anyways, moving to the present.

"Jane, we need to clean up the mess. Everything is disorganized." I sighed, as I looked at tissue papers strewn everywhere, and cream and bread crumbs on tables. I decided to clean the glass stand, and rushed towards the sink to soak the dry cloth.

"Yeah. I am so whacked up!" she exclaimed. "I want to sleep right now." she stomped her foot, and I knew that she was never going to get rid of her babyish ways.

I suddenly heard the door open, and the sound of footsteps.

I came out of the room to see a man walk into the bakery. Nah, a man would be too old for him. You could say he was about my age. He had dirty brown hair that framed his light tanned face and slightly covered his rover blue eyes. My eyes trailed from his perfect nose towards his lips, and then I glanced at his attire. He had worn a dark, tattered jeans with a white T-shirt and a leather jacket.

Translation : He could model like Alex Pettyfer.

Brief definition: He was the epitome of hotness, cuteness and sexiness.

"Hi." He said, grinning at me, and I smiled meekly. Jane peeked out from behind the glass stand, and it seemed like she was admiring the guy who just walked in when the bakery was about to close.

Britta, you are doing that too.

"Umm-hey." My voice came out all squeaky and I yet regret that. Usually, when girls squeak, they seem to be nervous as if they are talking to their crush and are afraid to blabber something which may turn it all wrong. I cleared my throat and spoke in a confident tone, a much louder tone which almost scared him. "Grab any pastries fast, the bakery's about to close." I said, tapping my foot. Sometimes too squeaky and sometimes too confident.

Yup. Reverse gear or full throttle.

"Actually, I want to give an order." He said, as he scratched the back of his head. Now, he seemed to be nervous.

"You can give it tomorrow." I shrugged and he gave me a sheepish grin.

"Actually...I need it for tomorrow." He replied and I gave him an are-you-kidding-me look.

*************************************************

Hey pals,

So you all must be thinking I deleted this book? God Almighty! No! I thought that I am not making this an interesting story for you all guys, and honestly, you are not worth this. So, I am editing all the chapters. And according to me, if you really want to understand, you should read it from the beggining.

xD