Chapter 3 (revised)

Start from the beginning

He nodded. "I'm glad to hear it. I'll get on the paper work right away." He opened a drawer and pulled out the forms.

"Sir."

He looked up.

"I think I may know what activity you're talking about. That Ishvalan that was killing state alchemists, correct?"

He sat back. "That's right."

I leaned forward. "Then wouldn't it make more sense to keep your elite alchemists away from Central?"

He put on a smile again. "I'd like for my alchemists to take care of the problem, should it ever come up again."

I sat back. Ahh, so that's why he wanted me to here? To take care of that Ishvalan?

"If I do what you're asking, can I be transferred back to Briggs?" I was hopeful.

"Now, now. Let's not think too far into the future." He shot down my request. "Let's get you situated before we make any real decisions."

Damn..

"You will be assigned an office." He placed keys onto his desk. "The branch and room number is on the key panel."

He finished up the form and handed it to me. "Give that to Patricia." His receptionist who's desk was outside his office. "She'll take care of the rest."

"You're dismissed soldier."

I stood up and saluted him. "Thank you sir."

I did as he asked and handed the form to his receptionist and then made my way down the hall. I looked at the keys and found the branch and room number.

"Devlin?"

I stopped walking and my heart dropped at the sound of that feminine voice. My heart was beating against my chest and my stomach filled with anxiety. Better sooner than later.

I turned around and found Riza Hawkeye, a childhood friend, we had lived in the same town, in the same neighbourhood, we basically grew up together. Her father was my alchemist mentor.

When I saw her face, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be. In fact, I was happy to see her. "Hi Riri."

She smiled and quickly walked towards me, pulling me into a tight hug, she spoke. "You have no idea how much I've missed you."

I hugged her back. "I missed you too, Riza."

She pulled away, keeping her hands rested on my shoulders. "I- have so many questions."

I chuckled dryly at her sentence.

"But, how have you been?" She looked genuinely worried.

I grabbed her hand reassuringly. "I'm okay. I promise you, I'm okay."

She looked relieved. "That's great. Last I heard, you weren't doing so well."

I laughed. "Ah, well thanks for reminding me."

"Oh! I didn't mean it like that! I just meant-"

My laughs cut her off, I pulled her into another hug. "I know what you meant. Don't you worry."

She pulled out of my grasp and silence fell between us, deafening silence.

"Thanks for worrying." I started. "I would understand if you hadn't bothered with me, after the way I handled things."

Her face softened. "I'll always worry about you. That's what friends do."

I was genuinely happy to hear that. As kids, we were inseparable, we were each other's best friend. I hadn't realized it until now, but I missed her more than I knew.

Maybe this transfer won't be such a bad thing after all.

She stepped back. "So, what are you doing here? It's been so long since I've seen you. You look great."

I laughed at her awkwardness. "I was transferred here."

"From Briggs right?"

I nodded. "Yup."

"Wow. We should catch up. I want to hear what happened." She suggested.

I grew excited, I hadn't expected her to be happy to see me, let alone want to spend time catching up with me.

I breathed in. "I'd love that."

She chuckled. "Okay, it's settled then."

We stood in our spot for a few minutes talking about other things. The Ishvalan thing, my transfer, where I had been stationed, how she got here.

(Roy's POV)

I walked back to my office after grabbing reports from one of the higher ups.

I turned the corner and found the Lieutenant standing in the hallway, she was talking with someone I didn't recognize.

As I got closer, the more familiar they became. The way she stood, her height, the colour of her hair, and her voice..

Her voice stuck out to me the most.

I'd heard it somewhere..

But where?

How did I know this voice? Where did I know it from?

And then it clicked.

I stopped dead in my tracks at my realization, my grip tightened around the files in my hand.

For a moment, I just stood there, a few feet away from them. There's no way.. it can't be.

I shook my head. No there's no way it's her. With her stubborn attitude? There's no way she'd come back here.

And then Hawkeye noticed me. She changed positions, getting this person to move a little ways so that I could get a closer look.

And my heart almost stopped.

It was her. She was really here.

I stood frozen for a minute. What should I do? Should I hide?? No! That's stupid! Why would i hide?!

Why is she here? Did she get the letters? Did she transfer back for me? No.. no way she'd do that. She hated you remember? She said so herself during that last fight you had.

God.. that was so long ago. What were we fighting about? Oh, that's right. Rebecca. God I was an idiot. Instead of drawing her in, I only pushed her away.

I came out of my thoughts and looked back at them, Hawkeye kept her in there spot.

My heart started racing as I knew what I'd have to do. But then my anxious feelings were replaced with anger and.. maybe hurt? Yeah, hurt. I was hurt and angry and I wanted to yell.

I walked towards them. I'm getting answers this time.

Hunter.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————Bohannon

I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist or any of its characters