CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Ahhh thank you all for 14k!!! :) <3

Evelyn Banks

I huff as I wait for Rafe to show up, he texted almost ten minutes ago that he was close so I decided to just wait on the porch for him. It was cold out, the crisp air causing my skin to feel stale as I rubbed my hands together in attempts to warm them up.

I let out a shaky breath as I hear his motorbike rev down my driveway, his bike coming to a halt in front of my house as he parks it up roughly. I smile as he pulls off his helmet, setting it down by the bike before he walks over to me.

"Jesus-- it's cold out, why are you just sitting out here" Rafe tuts, moving to sit in the space beside me. He shifts over so our shoulders are touching, his hands move to grasp mine before warming them up by massaging them.

"I was waiting for you"

"Babe, I could've just climbed through the window like I always do" Rafe snorts, letting out a dry chuckle.

"You know you don't have to climb through my window like a burglar-- my dad said you can use the front door, you know where the spare key is" I remind him, earning me a smirk as he turns to look over at me.

"Climbing through your window is more romantic"

I smile at his remark, before huffing as I remember what I had called him over here for. After we left the lookout, I had used the drive home to think over my options. I couldn't win either way, it's either I choose to be with Rafe and risk losing my bestfriends -- or lose Rafe and keep them. I don't want to lose either of them, but I know it's inevitable-- I can't have both.

"Rafe, I really like you-- the most I've ever liked anyone but I'm being a bad friend by being with you" I sigh out, my heart pounding hard in my chest.

"Pope-- he got really upset with me tonight after he saw the ring and I'm scared I'm going to lose him and the others if they find out" I continue.

"Which is why I think we should end this"

I feel his hands halt their actions, his grip on them loosening as he pulls away. I'm afraid to look at his face, scared of his reaction to my words so I keep my eyes focused on my hands.

"End this, over them? I know they're your bestfriends but you shouldn't let how they feel dictate your decisions" Rafe says, his tone shifting from it's softness. I pull my bottom lip between my teeth, nibbling on it anxiously as I try to think of a response.

"I know-- I know Rafe, but they're my bestfriends and I can't lose them"

"But you can lose me? That's it-- I don't mean jack shit to you?" He scoffs, pulling away from me as he moves to stand. I reach out to grasp his hand but he rips it from me, causing me to inhale sharply at the rejection.

"It's not like that Rafe, I care about you-- so much, I just can't burn bridges with my friends over you" I plead, almost regretting my words instantly when I see an offended look wash over his face.

"Over me? So I'm the bad guy now? I'm committing a crime for having feelings for you and trying to make us work" He argues with me, his tone growing harsher as his sentences carry on.

"No, that's not what I'm trying to say Rafe--"

"So what are you trying to say Evelyn? Huh?" Rafe demands, the angered look on his face causing my heart to pound involuntarily in my chest.