So that's how rich people travel, huh?

Start bij het begin

They barely wanted to let go of each other when it was finally their turn.

„Our gate is that way", he said pointing to the sign that indicated their number.

„I know. But there's still time, let's wait in the lounge."

„Oh, right... are we allowed in?"

She laughed. „Of course, baby, we're flying business class, that lounge is for us. We paid for it, might as well make use of it."

She walked past the concierge at the entrance to the American Airlines lounge with no more than a smile, wearing the disarming charm and confidence of a true lady. Everything about her screamed class. Her clothes and shoes, her jewelry, hat and bag looked simple at first glance. He was no fashion expert, but there was no mistake to be made that they had been expensive for sure.

She made an impression without trying too hard, or trying at all, effortless. No wonder, she was a star.

He on the other hand was carrying a backpack and wearing a t-shirt, baggy shorts, sneakers, and a basecap. He looked more like she had just picked him up from the street on her way to the airport, he had not been expecting to spend his time in some fancy business lounge, after all.

The concierge seemed to think exactly the same when he held him back. „Sir? I'll need to see your boarding pass, please."

Jordane reached into his pocket and mumbled. „Sure..."

Lana immediately started grabbling in her handbag for her ticket.

„It's alright, ma'am", said the concierge as he handed Jordane's boarding pass back to him, „Welcome to our lounge on behalf of American Airlines. Please find complimentary magazines and newspapers, drinks and snacks over there."

She frowned. „But... why don't you need to see my ticket?"

Jordane gently pushed her forward whispering: „It's alright, it's probably enough that he's seen mine, we're traveling together. Let's just go. Please."

They went to the bar to get coffee, then found a quiet corner with comfy armchairs where they could put up their feet, looking out onto the airfield.

„That guy was weird", she said looking back at the entrance.

„No, he wasn't really. Let's not talk about him anymore. Wanna share a chocolate chip cookie?"

He looked around, curious to take everything in. „So that's how rich people travel, huh? I was always wondering... celebrities, at least those who don't have private jets, they take regular airplanes too, and often. But you never see them anywhere at the airport. Is this where they're hiding?"

She laughed: „Mostly yes, I'd say. But you do see them sometimes. When checking in, boarding the plane or waiting at baggage claim. They're just often not so easy to recognize because – shocker – in real life many of them don't really look the way we know them."

„But you do, no? You're just as stunning in photos, on the red carpet or with make up on as you are without."

„Awww", she had to laugh, „That is very sweet of you to say, but also very biased. Sometimes I have no clue who that sad little person is who's staring back at me in the mirror in the mornings... and why life apparently has treated her so bad."

„Are you getting recognized often? Like here at the airport?"

„By fans or people who've seen me on TV?"

He nodded, she shook her head. „Not often. It's just a very small group of people who'd still recognize me, I believe. But those are often the die hard fans! Sometimes I meet them and they're always close to having a heart attack. I don't mind meeting fans or getting recognized, but I'm also glad it doesn't happen that often. We're lucky, Jordane! We get to do the job and get at least some of the perks without the superstardom, the paparazzi, the screaming fans and people following you and taking pictures wherever you go. I know this from my good friend Eva... Longoria, to some extent, and trust me, I'd rather earn less, work less and on potentially less prestigious or famous projects than become a some sort of public property and have my entire private life exposed, commented on, questioned... Everyone has an opinion on everything these days, especially with social media and all. Just imagine what people would have to say about us! If one of us or both of us were really, really famous and someone had just snapped pictures of us checking in to go to Hawaii together. What people might write or say. Makes me sick just thinking about it."