Chapter 24 - Madison

Start from the beginning

Jake throws a punch and I hear a screech behind me. I stand rooted in fear, afraid he'll hurt Maxon but Maxon catches his fist with a hand and hits him with the other, causing Jake to stagger back a few steps.

"Stop!" I spring into action and urge Vanessa. "Go V! Get my mom!"

This time she nods and runs off yelling something I can't make out at the moment.

I turn back to both men and am horrified by what I see.

In a matter of seconds, they've managed to make each other bleed, and Maxon...oh God. Blood is dripping from his nose.

"Guys stop it!" I yell. Running up to them.

"Maxon!" I get near him but he shouts at me to stay back.

"Don't do this." Dear God, please help them stop. I look back and see no movement from my house.

I hear a smack and find Jake on the ground, pushing at Maxon who's raining down punches on him. "Aaahhh Jake! Maxon! Stop! Stop it right now!"

Jake grips Maxon by the throat and I yell out. "NO!"

"QUÉ ESTA PASANDO AQUÍ ?!" I hear my mom's voice in the distance.

"What the hell?! STOP!!! Stop you two or I'm calling the police to take both of your fucking asses to jail!" Trinity.

That grabs both of their attention and both of them turn to see my sister with the phone in her hand. Finger ready to press the call button.

Behind her, I see my mom with a broom, Leah with a knife, and Liam with a baseball bat ready to break up the fight. Vanessa stands near the door and I can only admire my family. Wow, we sure do make quite the picture.

Both men get up silently and straighten up the best they can.

Jake turns to head back to his car.

I follow after him. I may not like the guy very much right now but I would never wish this upon him or anyone.

"Jake! Wait!"

He stops me with a raise of his hand.

"I'm okay, Madison. Just a little bruised up."

I hear a growl behind me as I take a step toward him.

"No." He commands. "Stay with your boyfriend. I'll see you in a few days."

He gets into his car and speeds away.

Well, this should go over well at work.

I flip around and find a bloody and bruised Maxon. He looks like he's trying very hard to stand up straight. Worry overtakes me and I hurry over to him.

"Maxon, are you alright?" Clearly, he's not but still. "Let's head inside."

He shakes his head. "I'll be leaving."

"No," I grip his arm as he heads past me. "Stay."

He looks at me with an indifferent look and I...hate it.

There is no sight of his kind, tender gaze. Just a blank mask. I guess the tables have now turned.

I whisper softly. "Let me get you cleaned up first at least."

"Worried about me?" He asks tightness costing his gesture but I answer, "Yes." Without hesitation. He looks surprised but quickly masks it.

I latch my fingers through his ignoring the usual spark, "Let's go inside."

My sister eyes him sharply. "I thought I told you to leave."

He doesn't answer anything. Wisely keeping quiet.