"Wow, everything is just lovely! You guys have done such a good job with the enclosures and everything. Your dad would definitely be proud," Elaine remarked as we finished up the tour and started heading back towards the Wildlife Hospital. 

"Thank you! It's taken a lot of work to get it here, but it's definitely been worth it to help so many animals and be a part of wildlife conservation," I said, opening the door to the hospital.

"Definitely. Every day there are more and more animals that need our help, and it's so rewarding to be there for them and be able to make a difference," Ashley said.

We walked to my mum's office so Elaine and Cait could get their employment situated and find what parts of the zoo they will be placed in. 

"I'm going to head home and watch some movies," Ashley said as we entered mum's office. 

"No problem sweetheart, take it easy on your leg still," mum said, "Robert, why don't you go and hang out? You're not needed for the rest of the day and it's getting close to closing anyway."

"Sure thing, thank you, mum!" I called, walking out of the hospital with Ashley. 

We walked back to her house, and once we were away from the zoo. I reached out and grabbed her hand. I looked over at her to see if it was okay, and a pink blush spread across her cheeks but she grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers and gave my hand a light squeeze. I squeezed back. 

The sun started setting and I watched as she looked up to the sky in amazement. No matter how many times she has seen the sunset, it never ceased to amaze her. 

"So, our first date is on your birthday, huh? What a celebration," I said, laughing slightly. She giggled and looked at me. 

"I wouldn't have it any other way," she replied, smiling. 

We made it back to her house and got comfortable on the couch. 

"How's your leg feel?" I asked as she sat down and slipped off her blue flats. She sat in the corner of the L-shaped couch, her lower calves and ankles across my lap. 

"Good, not painful at all," she said.

"That's great. Do you need anything? Water or anything?" I asked, wanting to make sure she was content and taken care of. 

"Just the remote, Robbie," she said. I reached for it on the coffee table and handed it to her. She put on one of the Star Wars movies and we watched in comfortable silence, my hands resting on her shins.

As we watched the movie, I couldn't help but steal glances of her and just smile. She was everything I could've ever wanted and more. I know we haven't even gone on our first date yet but I already had the perfect plan to ask her out. 

"Hey, would you wanna help me with a croc show? Not feeding them of course, unless you want to, eventually. But you know how we do the part where the macaws fly out to their trainers in the stands? What if we did that together?" I suggested. 

"Oh, I would love that! Queto is just so beautiful, it would be an honour to be a part of that," she replied, turning from the TV to face me. 

"It wouldn't be too hard, he's already trained to go from trainer to trainer but you do have to work with him a little bit so he knows you're the one he has to go to."

"Yeah, of course. We could work on that later this week." 

I smiled. She wouldn't suspect a thing about my plan until it happens. 

Laurie came in a few minutes later, with Elaine and Cait behind her. 

"Hey, kids, you ready to eat something? I figured we could order some pizza," she said, sitting in the recliner while Cait and Elaine sat down on the couch.